MMM not picking up input from USB keyboard

JesusFreak wrote on 12/25/2017, 6:22 PM

I have an original wired Alesis Vortex (Because I'm a dork like that), and I'm trying to use it with Music Maker. It shows as an option in the MIDI input section and I can select it, but it doesn't seem to trigger anyting within the program. I've updated the firmware, and there don't seem to be any drivers. Windows recognizes it in Device Manager. I installed Piano Roll Composer and it recognizes input, so I know the keyboard itself is sending MIDI to the computer and it is being recognized... but I still get nothing out of MMM. I got the Stranger Synths plugin from Humble Bundle and I really want to play with it on my keytar, but I'm getting really frustrated it isn't working!

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/26/2017, 3:59 AM

Hi

I would suggest you see this 'Getting started with Music Maker' tutorial by John CB. In there the subject of MIDI recording is covered along with many other useful tips.

The tutorial refers to an older version however the principles are the same for the latest version.

. . . . .I really want to play with it on my keytar, but I'm getting really frustrated it isn't working . . . .

Providing the keytar can act as a MIDI controller this should work.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/26/2017, 4:03 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

dark_spartan wrote on 12/26/2017, 4:56 PM

My only caution here is I have had a lot of bugs working with Music Maker and midi (to be honest, to the point where I've stopped using it this week...).

My biggest two recommendations are:

• Test it on the default piano when you launch - as there are a bunch of midi bugs I've hit when you add new tracks.
  • Depending on your midi keyboard, make sure you are set to bank 0 sub-bank 1 at the midi controller. That is what Music Maker is expecting....