MM not triggering midi synth during recording but records notes

AzureCrystal wrote on 12/8/2017, 7:44 PM

Thanks in advance for any help; I am considering upgrading to the premium version of Music Maker. I already purchased the "Soundtrack Edition" and downloaded the free version and in both products I can point to an external midi port in the setup as midi out, and I see the midi notes being received by MM in the midi monitor, but I don't hear any notes, and the midi IN of my hardware synth does not receive any data. The midi notes DO get recorded if I hit [record], but I can't hear what I play during recording or before, just only after I play back the recorded clip.

My worry is that I'll spend another $70 for the premium version to find out;
#1-it does not echo midi out to my hardware synths,
#2-it
wont work for my 3rd party VST synths.

Grateful thanks for any advice, BTW, I LOVE Magix products and own;

• Movie Edit Pro Premium
  • Samplitude Music Studio 2016
  • Music Maker Soundtrack Edition
  • Xara (all editions)
  • Menu Maker

:)

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 12/9/2017, 9:30 AM

Hi

. . . . I can point to an external midi port in the setup as midi out, and I see the midi notes being received by MM in the midi monitor, but I don't hear any notes, and the midi IN of my hardware synth does not receive any data. The midi notes DO get recorded if I hit [record], . . . .

Can you clarify a few points please:

What is the 'hardware synth' device you are using eg an external synthesizer, a sequencer or what?

Do you want Music Maker (MMM) to control this device to generate the audio from the device, or use the device to control a synthesizer in MMM?

Or - if an external synthesizer are you trying to control this from a MIDI score in MMM and record the audio output from the external device?

. . . . but I can't hear what I play during recording or before, just only after I play back the recorded clip. . . . . . .

No audio usually means that the audio output device in the programs settings is incorrect - it is probably set to Magix Low Latency ASIO driver- in the Program settings, Audio/MIDI tab try changing this to Direct sound, however if you then suffer from Latency lag when using MIDI - try downloading and installing ASIO4All and use this for the audio.

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/9/2017, 9:31 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

AzureCrystal wrote on 12/9/2017, 10:12 AM

Hi

Can you clarify a few points please:

What is the 'hardware synth' device you are using eg an external synthesizer, a sequencer or what?

Do you want Music Maker (MMM) to control this device to generate the audio from the device, or use the device to control a synthesizer in MMM?

Or - if an external synthesizer are you trying to control this from a MIDI score in MMM and record the audio output from the external device?

HTH

John EB

Hi John, I should have been clearer so here goes; I have my midi out in the MM setup dialog set to my midi in of an Alesis QS6 , a hardware synth, in all my other DAWs it will trigger the synth and I will hear it, but in Music Maker (free and soundtrack edition) even though the midi monitor in the program shows activity, it will not trigger the midi out of the Alesis(I don't see midi in activity on the hardware midi port), however, the notes do get recorded in the DAW and I can playback the clip/event, and at that point it triggers my hardware synth properly.

So before and during recording, the midi thru or midi echo out coming from MM is not working, and for those 2 versions of MM it never did. I get the same result if I set MM's midi out to a virtual midi port (like rptmidi) so I can use something like Cantabile's VST host to trigger my 3rd party VSTs, it should work but that won't either (it does in all other DAWs). It's not anything related to the audio driver (using my RME's native ASIO driver), it's like the midi echo out to whatever midi out I pick does not work, MM sees the notes internally and records them, but it only sends them to my hardware synth AFTER the notes are recorded in a clip/event. :)

AzureCrystal wrote on 12/9/2017, 10:25 AM

The only thing I can think of is, that midi echo out function does not work for the free version or the Soundtrack Edition version (which I purchased), but spending $70 to find out it doesn't work in the premium version will kinda suck. Does it work for others, does your MM trigger at least one or multiple hardware synths and/or your 3rd party VSTs? Thanks!

johnebaker wrote on 12/9/2017, 11:54 AM

Hi

MMM is not a DAW by definition.

I do not have an external Synthesizer to test with, however, AFAIK there are 2 modes of operation:

1. Use MMM to control an external device like the Alesis using a MIDI score in MMM - the sound should come then come from the Alesis

OR

2. Use the Alesis as a MIDI keyboard to control a synth in MMM, and record the midi.

AFAIK you cannot do both to a single device - having only a need for item 2.

I suspect you need to look at a more sophisticated program such as Samplitude, which is a DAW, to achieve what you want, there is a free trial for testing purposes available.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.