MM 2022 Won't download

Ron-Coutts wrote on 6/30/2021, 5:07 AM

Hi Guys,

I discovered last night that the latest version of MM 2022 was available, so I immediately jumped on-line and purchased my upgrade from 2021.

This of course generated an e-mail to me with a link to the download .exe file. Received the e-mail, followed the link, downloaded the .exe file. All good so far, and I was getting excited by the prospect of playing around with the update.

Double clicked the musicmakerpremium2022_dlm_e8wofu.exe file, and the attached pop-up is as far as it's gotten. On pic 1, the circle at the top left is indicating 'Paused'. If I hit the 'Continue' button the Paused symbol turns into a 'Spinning Disc' - as per Pic 2 - for about 5 seconds then it stops and reverts back to the Paused symbol. And that's all she wrote, folks.

I re-ran the entire process, did a reboot it just sits there - for literally hours.

I'm running Windows 10 on a laptop. I haven't yet removed MM2021 - I saw nothing to indicate that that was a prerequisite (and as I understand it you can have multiple older versions on one machine anyway). I originally thought it may be heavy traffic trying to access the download? But I spent a couple of hours at it last night and another couple so far tonight ... so I'm beginning to wonder if there's an issue with the download?

ย 

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/30/2021, 5:31 AM

@Ron-Coutts I would guess that your firewall or Windows Defender are deleting the download as soon as it starts. You can disable them temporarily and try again.

emmrecs wrote on 6/30/2021, 5:40 AM

@Ron-Coutts

First, there is no need to uninstall the 2021 version in order to install 2022. I'm afraid the 2022 version will "take over from" the 2021 version; you will then have "Music Maker (64 bit)" (aka MM 2022) as the only installed version, although at least some of the earlier versions will remain. e.g., I still have version 28 installed and usable, alongside version 30, aka MM 2022, but version 29 (MM 2021) is no longer there!

As to the problem of the installation not starting properly: the file you downloaded is a Download Manager, as I'm sure you realise, whose purpose is to download the actual program installation files and then run them. Its "work" depends upon your computer being able to contact the Magix server and request the needed files. Such communication is "two-way", i.e. both your computer and the server must "shake hands". It would seem that at least one side of this "conversation" is not happening for you. The most common reason for this is your Firewall and/or Antivirus is blocking the connection in either one direction or, perhaps, both. You need to check the "rules" under which these security apps operate on your computer and, if necessary, ensure they allow these connections to occur. Even the default Windows Defender can cause these problems.

If the rules cannot be changed, unfortunately, you will need to temporarily disable either Firewall or Antivirus, or both, at least whilst the files are downloading and the installation runs. Once that is completed there is quite an amount of additional downloads to take place so you may need to leave those security apps disabled until after everything is fully installed. Just remember to enable them again after you have finished.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Ron-Coutts wrote on 7/1/2021, 4:01 AM

@emmrecsย Thank you for your response, I also received a reply (far quicker than I expected) from Tech Support and their suggestion worked. I'm guessing your option would have likely yielded the same result.

For the record, their suggestion was ...

This particular problem with the download manager can be caused by the "controlled folder access" feature in Windows Defender. By default, this feature is turned off. However, if you chose to enable it at one point in time, it could be causing this conflict with our installer. In order to turn it back off, please proceed as follows:

Open the Windows Defender Security Center by clicking the shield icon in the task bar or searching the start menu for "Defender". Click the "Virus & threat protection" tile (or the shield icon on the left menu bar) and then click "Ransomware protection". Set the switch for "Controlled folder access" to "Off".

Once this is done, please perform the MAGIX program download/installation again. If you wanted to turn the protective feature discussed above back on after the successful installation, this should not be a problem.

Bottom line ... I'm up and running and doing a happy dance ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

emmrecs wrote on 7/1/2021, 4:10 AM

@Ron-Coutts

Great to hear, and thanks for the feedback. Happy Music Making!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam