Comments

rraud wrote on 5/16/2022, 9:51 AM

Hi @Unsounded, does the "Contents and Index" work in the menu bar 'Help' ?

I have never read of or experienced this behavior after an update. Try a full reset, which is in the "File" menu.

Unsounded wrote on 5/16/2022, 7:42 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried the full reset but it made no difference. Pressing F1 or using the menu bar item "Contents and Index" sees a momentary spinning 'thinking' circle but no help is launched. I do have the pdf manual but would really like to find a way to get the full help working.

johnebaker wrote on 5/17/2022, 4:27 AM

@Unsounded

Hi

Check the the Help file is actually installed - it is a .chm file and should be in the programs installation folder, eg

C:\Program Files\SOUND FORGE\version

There may be several language versions the English version has _EN in the filename eg for Audio Studio, I do not have Sound Forge Pro installed, it is AudioStudio120_EN.chm

HTH

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Unsounded wrote on 5/17/2022, 7:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the new versions of Sound Forge can be using chm help files. I don't have such a chm file for either SF15 or the trial version of Audiostudio 15. Also I made a copy of all the files for Sound Forge build 161 and that has no such chm file either. Help works for my Audio Studio trial and did for SF build 161. My installation of SF15 build 64 has the same number of files as build 161 but the help doesn't load. Strange.

rraud wrote on 5/17/2022, 9:51 AM

Try reinstalling SFP-15... Without uninstalling prior, unless when, and if, the installer dialog states to do so.

If the issue persists, uninstall, but a use a third-party uninstaller like Revo Uninstall that can clean left-over registry entries and pertinent data files. All your user preferences and custom settings will be removed as well and would need to be reset. Then reinstall SFP-15
btw, Revo Uninstall has a pro and a freeware versions. The free version is adequate in most cases. highly recommended for most uninstalling tasks).

Unsounded wrote on 5/17/2022, 3:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't have a copy of SF15 build 64 to reinstall. I've never been able to find and save a SF15 exe file and have always been stuck using the download manager. I would very much like to know how to save installation files for Sound Forge. Incidentally, I fully agree about Revo Uninstall and use the pro version. Can someone please confirm that SF15 does not use a chm file for help.

SP. wrote on 5/17/2022, 3:44 PM

@Unsounded My version of Sound Forge Pro 15 Suite uses a CHM file for help.

Are the CHM files inside the Sound Forge program folder? Can you open them by double clicking on them?

rraud wrote on 5/17/2022, 5:31 PM

I don't have a copy of SF15 build 64 to reinstall. I've never been able to find and save a SF15 exe file and have always been stuck using the download manager

I have the unpacked SOUND_FORGE_Pro_15.0.0.64 installer if you want it @Unsounded

Are the CHM files inside the Sound Forge program folder?

The only <.chm> files I am aware of in the SFP 15 &16 program files folder are in the 'FileIO Plug-Ins' sub-folder, but that is the help files for plugs and codecs.

Unsounded wrote on 5/17/2022, 6:43 PM

Thanks, rraud. If I can use the installer to try to repair my Sound Forge 15 build 64 help it would be good to try.

johnebaker wrote on 5/18/2022, 3:59 AM

@Unsounded

Hi

The help files for some other Magix programs have changed from a .chm file format to a web browser version using HTML files, check if you have the following folder - or one with a similar name:

C:/Program Files/MAGIX/program name/Help/en/Content/

if so are there HTML, or .chm files, probably with German names in the folder?

If there are do you have a default browser set for opening web pages set in Windows?

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Unsounded wrote on 5/18/2022, 5:01 AM

Thanks, I appreciate all the replies. In C:/Program Files/ I don't have a MAGIX folder but I do have a SOUND FORGE and a VEGAS folder. Vegas has some chm files for plugins and one html file for a chromium licence but nothing for help. Vegas help works normally. There must be some other method being used for help that has an issue with my build of Sound Forge. If my scripts worked with build 161 I could update to that as help works with that version. Without a build 64 installation file I'm in a Catch 22.

rraud wrote on 5/18/2022, 1:59 PM

I see help files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\MAGIX\Shared Plug-Ins\Help Files" ( Thanks @johnebaker )

@Unsounded, I recall an issue where the 32 bit version of SF needed to be installed to get the help files, but I think it was prior to SFP-15, it's worth a try though. Install the x86 version of SFP 15. Both versions will coexist and share settings and data. It does not count as an additional activation either.

If this does not resolve the issue, I will get you build 64,

Unsounded wrote on 5/20/2022, 11:05 PM

Thanks rraud, installing the 32 bit version did the trick. I was a little concerned about losing disc space for a program I won't use but I've now uninstalled the 32 bit version using the regular Windows remove programs (not Revo Uninstaller) and I can still access help. Some settings on my 64 bit version where changed but I can work through those.

rraud wrote on 5/21/2022, 11:11 AM

Glad you got the 'Help' working.

The x86 version's program files uses up approx 0.6 GB (a little less than a 80 min audio CD). Most of the other SF program data is shared with the x64 version, so the additional data is negligible. A half gig ain't much these days.

I keep x86 SF installed, since a few of my favorite plug-ins only run on the 32 bit versions. To be specific, iZ's Direct X mastering comp/limiter, Imager and Exciter which are all multiband.