Mic sound distorted

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 2:38 AM

Hi, I’ve set up my Tyros 2 keyboard which has two in built speakers and a good sub woofer. I’ve linked an audio interface to this and connected the keyboard via Roland trs cables. I then have connected the headphone port on the interface to the speaker on the keyboard so I can get the recordings to playback through my keyboard speakers. This plays back at a good sound but it takes the interface headphone port away to use for my actual headphones. This works well but when I try plugging in a condenser mic I get very poor quality and it’s highly distorted. I don’t see the reason to buy studio speakers if the keyboard has great sound speakers already and I want to pull all the sound back through the keyboard speakers. Is there a need for studio speakers here or is there a way to get full quality sound using these keyboard speakers?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 5/21/2024, 4:15 AM

@Richard-Docherty

when I try plugging in a condenser mic I get very poor quality and it’s highly distorted

Into what are you plugging this mic? Direct to the computer or into an audio interface? If the latter, is Phantom Power available and switched on?

One further thought: plugging the input to the speakers into the Headphone output is generally not advisable! Signal level of this is considerably higher than would be the case if your speaker feed was coming from a Line output. The result of your routing can very easily be distortion of the audio.

Does your audio interface not have Line Outs separate from the Headphone output? If you tell us exactly which audio interface you have we may be able to suggest a solution for you!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 4:38 AM

I bought an M audio duo audio interface. I originally had two trs cables plugged in from keyboard to the two line in ports on this interface but then had another trs plugged into the headphone port on interface and then to keyboard speaker port. I then bought a condenser mic with the three pin trs cable, I removed one of the keyboard trs and plugged in mic. It picks up keyboard sound and mic but mic is very poor. I realise I might need studio speakers or a better interface with more line inputs? I just thought the tyros had its own quality sound system to capture the sound

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 4:39 AM

Phantom power all switched on also, is there a better set up?

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 6:57 AM

HellO, is it just better to have studio speakers rather than use the sub woofer and speakers that come with this?

SP. wrote on 5/21/2024, 7:24 AM

@Richard-Docherty Is the gain of the microphone maybe too high?

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 7:30 AM

I’ve tried it low medium high, the lot, added in the booster on interface, you see the tyros comes with 2 attached speakers and a sub woofer so I was hoping I could direct all of the sound back through them. But not sure if a two line audio interface is enough or I need studio speakers as well, it seems a shame as the speaker system on the tyros is high quality

SP. wrote on 5/21/2024, 7:44 AM

@Richard-Docherty Can the signal of your microphone recorded distortion free on the computer? If not, then your Tyros speakers are not the problem. They simply get an already distorted signal.

Can you please try to record something on your microphone in Music Maker? Then play it back and listen to it on your headphones first.

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 8:26 AM

Do you mean set my condenser mic as the recording device? I tried that and it can record the sound but you still cannot get your voice through the mic completely

emmrecs wrote on 5/21/2024, 8:39 AM

@Richard-Docherty

Having looked at the interface you name can you confirm the following:

• When you want to record from the mic, you are removing one of the cables from the keyboard and plugging in the mic cable. Is that correct? If so, what type of cable does the mic have (your mention of trs cables suggests the cable is terminated in a (3-pole) jack plug)? Ideally, this cable needs to be one that terminates with an XLR plug. I'm not certain that a 3-pole jack can actually pass the Phantom Power your condenser mic needs. Which mic do you have, manufacturer and model name/number?
  • The unit has "Main Outs" jack sockets on the rear. Have you tried taking the input to your speakers from these, rather than the Headphone output?

As for using what you term "studio speakers"; that would always be my preferred option, using those Main Outs sockets to feed them.

How are you delivering the audio signal to your computer and Music Maker? Via the USB socket, or is this what you are using those Main Outs for?

Jeff

Edit to add: having just seen your most recent post can you explain exactly what you mean by it can record the sound but you still cannot get your voice through the mic completely

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/21/2024, 8:40 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 8:51 AM

1 x MC1 Condenser Microphone by Gear4music 

1 x XLR Microphone Cable, 6m Is what I bought.

before I bought the mic. I plugged in two Roland trs cables two rings to the back of the tyros and then fed these two into line 1 and line 2 of the audio interface. I then plugged in an additional Jack cable to the audio interface headphone socket and to the back port of my keyboard. I recorded audio this way and it seemed to pick the sound up fine and it recorded two waves via the audio recording on Magix. When I got the mic, I removed one of the trs cable and replaced it with the plug-in that came with the mic and out that in line 2 and put the boost on. Now I have the mic and keyboard plugged in, it still picks up sound but it’s very distorted. I have my pc out put and inputs to the interface and on magix settings, I have these as the audio interface and set as asio, thanks for your help

emmrecs wrote on 5/21/2024, 10:18 AM

@Richard-Docherty

(Just as a help to me, please tag me - type @ (and no space) and you will see my user name listed, just click on it - and I will then receive a notification that you have replied. Without this notification it could be several hours, or longer, before I see and can respond to your latest reply!)

Thanks for the additional information. Certain things stand out to me:

1. You mention using trs cables to connect your keyboard to your audio interface. These may not be helpful to you! The output jack sockets of your keyboard are almost certainly ts, i.e., what is termed as "unbalanced outputs". trs cables are "balanced" and it is not a good idea to mix these two formats!
  2. The headphone socket of the interface will be, by default, stereo (though I see you can change this to mono via the front switch on the interface). Is the input socket to your keyboard speakers mono or stereo?
  3. You say you put the boost on (the mic input). What boost? The output of a condenser mic is usually sufficiently "hot" to not require any boosting.
  4. The input to your interface is a combined Jack/XLR socket so should automatically adjust its input level to match what is being sent to it.
  5. On the front panel of the interface there is a switch labelled as "Line" or Guitar input. Which of these settings do you choose for your keyboard? it should be "Line". For the mic input it should not make any difference and should be bypassed but I would leave it on "Line".
  6. Finally (sorry for all the questions!) but which ASIO driver are you using?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 5/21/2024, 10:19 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/21/2024, 11:15 AM

@emmrecs In response to your first question, yeh i now understand I’m running unbalanced ports from the keyboard with balanced cables to the interface. I will order one ring cables the same as keyboard ports if this is advised? Is it worth keeping this interface and ordering a new one and studio speakers? Or is it possible to run it all through the tyros sound system or if I got studio speakers can I run them alongside my tyros sound system?

question' 2- I’m sure the keyboard output ports are mono.

question 3 What I mean by the boost is phantom power on the interface I switch that on when trying to boost the mic sound signal.

question 4, I choose the option line for both keyboard and mic as that is what I read

question 5 the asio driver automatically appears on Magix settings as the m audio duo interface

Thank you Jeff

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/22/2024, 5:40 AM

@emmrecs I thought tagging you was quicker 😉

emmrecs wrote on 5/22/2024, 6:25 AM

@Richard-Docherty

I thought tagging you was quicker

It is, but please remember we are all, moderators included, simply users of Magix products, not Magix staff, so visit the forums whenever we can!

Answers to your questions:

1. You will have to test and see whether the Tyros speakers are sufficient for your needs! As I wrote, I would always favour "studio" speakers.
  2. Each output socket from the keyboard will be mono but one is normally labelled Left and the other Right. Using both will give a "stereo" sound. One, often Left, may also be designated "Mono" for when you want to use only one output.
  3. Without Phantom Power your condenser mic simply will not work! The (normally) 48v which it supplies is required to actuate the condenser element. So it's not really a "boost"!
  4. That seems perfect.
  5. Ditto.

So, we are back at a possible cause being those balanced v unbalanced cables.

FYI, because I am now going to be away from my computer for at least the next two weeks it is unlikely I will be able to offer any further advice, sorry.

Jeff

Richard-Docherty wrote on 5/22/2024, 6:59 AM

@emmrecs Thanks for all your help very much appreciated and your time to help me. I’ve ordered the correct cables and have ordered some studio speakers so I will connect the keyboard using mono cables to the lines in the interface then I’ll run the studio speakers from the back of this and hopefully all the sound and mic work together thanks 👍