Mic not recording in ANY DAW

John-Sawyer wrote on 9/13/2022, 3:32 PM

I have an issue that started after 9-03-2022. I am using SF Audio Studio 14. I have been using Audio Studio since Version 7. I can no longer get my audio from my mic into the DAW, or ANY daw. I don't not know what happened or changed. I took my computer in for service to check the 3.0 USB ports and had the drivers updated. I have been through every Windows 10 Home, 64 bit and SF setting imaginable, to no avail. I am using Windows 10 Home 64 bit, a Universal Audio Apollo Solo USB interface, a high speed HOSA USB connection to my 3.0 USB port. In my Windows 'device manager' I am getting a Triangle ERROR stating that a unknown USB device (device descriptor failed). Everything was working well until Sunday Sept. 4, 2022 when I could no longer record. This is a REAL problem for me as I am a professional voice over actor and need this all to work, for me to work! Help! I am getting playback and mic audio is reaching the computer, tested through Windows "Trouble shoot your mic", and audio shows up. It's like ALL DAW's are blocked form getting my mic audio. -- Jay

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/13/2022, 5:37 PM

@John-Sawyer Did you ever check the Windows privacy settings? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-on-app-permissions-for-your-microphone-in-windows-10-94991183-f69d-b4cf-4679-c98ca45f577a

Windows usually blocks all microphones because hackers recorded people through their webcam. It's possible that this option will change after a Windows update. Then you need to turn on the permissions again.

John-Sawyer wrote on 9/13/2022, 5:55 PM

Thank you SP for your input. Yes, access to the Mic is ON!

SP. wrote on 9/13/2022, 6:03 PM

@John-Sawyer Does the unknown device in the device manager disappear if you unplug your audio interface? This would mean that the computer cannot identify your audio interface correctly. Or it could be another device not relevant to your problem.

Or is your device listed elsewhere?

Usually, I would advice to uninstall the Universal Audio driver and software, unplug the audio interface, restart the computer (not shutting it down and turning it back on, but restarting it), then reinstalling the Universal Audio driver and software from here https://www.uaudio.com/downloads/uad?___store=default&___from_store=uaudiode&setsite=en&_gl=1*46b08n*_ga*MjA2MDczMjk4Mi4xNjYzMTEwMjgw*_ga_CPJ5176QFT*MTY2MzExMDI4Mi4xLjEuMTY2MzExMDM3OC4wLjAuMA.. , then plugging the interface back in. Also make sure, that USB power saving is disabled or else your device might not get enough power.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest you test the interface on a different computer. If it isn't working on other computers there could be a problem with your interface.

John-Sawyer wrote on 9/13/2022, 11:27 PM

SP, the error for the unknown device remains after you unplug the USB cable. I have not yet done this with ALL of my USB cables to track down the device, but that is next. I did follow the directions of the provided video (thank you) so that is done. Thanks again. Keep in mind, everything was working fine until Sept. 4, 2022. I have no clue what changed after that. Thanks again for your brainstorming!

rraud wrote on 9/14/2022, 10:12 AM

everything was working fine until Sept. 4, 2022.

Win 10 update ?? Try a system restore (registry). Use a restore point prior to 9/4.

John-Sawyer wrote on 9/14/2022, 12:18 PM

Tried system restore, it would NOT let me go back more than 3 days. I tried the system restore on 09/09/2022. I have no idea if there was a Win. update then...

rraud wrote on 9/14/2022, 1:46 PM

Hi John, in the bottom/left of the Win 10 System Restore points window, there is a "Show more restore points' check box. That may have earlier entries.
FWIW, I have weekly restore point created automatically in Window's scheduler in case I need it. I also create a drive image every so often should there be catastrophic break-down that a reg. restore can't fix.