Comments

ralftaro wrote on 12/5/2008, 10:01 AM
Hi there,

What exactly does this mean? What device exactly are you referring to? Do you mean that you want to use just the audio component of a USB video grabber to digitize LPs? If so, what software are you using for the recording process? Do you have any suitable audio recording program for this task? Also, keep in mind that a phono signal from a record player usually requires a phono stage for proper pre-amplification and RIAA equalization. So, I guess it would really be necessary to know more about how exactly you have hooked up everything and what problem you're having when trying to record.

ralftaro wrote on 12/9/2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I understand what you're trying to do, but I can also confirm that trying to perform a mere audio recording from the EasyCap device is not possible. While the USB audio driver is available in the system, the device just doesn't let through the connected audio signal unless the video capture driver is actually interfaced by the program. So, a pure audio recording doesn't work, regardless of what program you're using. It's just a limitation of the EasyCap device/driver. Obviously, if you're dead set on using this hardware for an audio recording, you could always use the analog video capture function in the program, without actually hooking up a video signal. Once you're done recording your audio signal (with a blank video screen on top), use the export options of the program to just export the audio component into an actual audio file, without the useless blank video track.

That said, I don't really see the benefits of using the EasyCap device for analog audio recordings. You most likely have at least a simple on-board audio hardware, if not a proper sound card, in your system, which will probably just work as fine for audio recordings. Just hook up your source to the line in socket of the sound hardware. Plus, there are certainly much more suitable programs for analog audio recordings than the simple voice-over recording function in Movies on DVD 7. You might want to try Audio Cleaning Lab from Magix.

Does the Rescue Your Videotapes package really encourage you to use the EasyCap for pure audio recordings? As I said, I just don't see the benefits. Is this possibly a mix up with the "Rescue Your Vinyl & Tapes" package?

www.magix.com/uk/rescue-your-vinyl-tapes/

By the way, this one here does contain Audio Cleaning Lab, which I found to be a really excellent software when it comes to bringing your old analog music over into the digital world.