Looking to recreate a blues song.

Malky wrote on 4/18/2020, 1:37 PM

Hi I'd like to recreate the Tracy Chapman song, "Give me one good reason". Has anyone tried this or can push me the right way? I'd like to do the solo guitar stuff myself, so just want t create the backing stuff. I'm just starting. Thanks.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/18/2020, 4:39 PM

There are MIDI files of the song on the web, for example you can find one here: https://bitmidi.com/tracy-chapman-give-me-one-reason-mid

You need to assign an instrument to a track, for example a bass instrument. Create an empty MIDI object. You can import the MIDI file into the MIDI object via the MIDI editor. Then you need to filter the channels of the MIDI and select only the channels that play bass nodes. The selected bass instrument will then play the notes.

You have to repeat that with all other instruments for example the guitars and drums and organs.

Malky wrote on 4/19/2020, 8:59 AM

Thanks SP, thought it would be easier than that but will give it a go. Does this save each instrument on different tracks for editing? No doubt I'll find out. Thank you once again for your reply.

Malky wrote on 4/19/2020, 9:11 AM

Sorry my misinterpretation of MIDI files, seems it's just the notes played by one instrument. Might be workable though if I find the right instruments ?

SP. wrote on 4/19/2020, 6:27 PM

The MIDI editing tools in Music Maker are awfully limited, so I split the MIDI channels into seperate files in another program. I also transposed some tracks one octave up because the VITA 2 instruments playing zones don't go deep enough.

I then placed each file on a track and selected a VITA 2 instrument for the track.

I uploaded the MMM file to Google Drive. You can download it from the following link. I hope it works and you can open the file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bMyNCnUwIUC6vRJ7qzVZ14ZCo7VvwIsZ

You need VITA 2 with plus and premium presets installed to play the song. Let me know, if something doesn't work.

Malky wrote on 4/20/2020, 2:23 AM

Hi I downloaded the file, but being a novice, I have no idea what vita 2 is or where to get the instruments. I'll try researching it, so far all I see is a place in Bulgaria and a few devices?

Anyway, once again, thank you very much for your assistance.

SP. wrote on 4/20/2020, 3:37 AM

You need to understand the basics first. You should really work through the PDF manual. Everything is explained there. You can download it under the menu Help->Documentation->PDF-Manual in Music Maker.

Music production is no easy task. There is no shortcut, so don't be discouraged if you see that the manual has over 250 pages.

Malky wrote on 4/20/2020, 3:44 AM

Good advice, thank you! Better to start again. I did buy the software a few years ago and dabbled with it, but work etc stopped all that. Now I am in the position to spend more time with it, so better trying to walk before I run as you suggest. Thank you once again, I'll head for the PDF file.