Loading WAV files in Piano Roll ?

iBypass wrote on 6/26/2018, 1:51 PM

Hello, I did search the ACID Pro 8 manual (PDF) and tried for sometimes to do that on my own but just can't figure out how...

What I wanna do is load a WAV file and use the internal ACID Piano Roll to edit a sequence in a track...

To put it simple, let's say I have a small WAV file sample of "I Like To Move It Move It" accappella from the song by "Reel 2 Real"... I'm actually trying to load this little wav file in ACID (in the MIDI interface I guess by replacing an existing MIDI sound perhaps?) and use the piano roll to draw a sequence playing the loaded sample sound instead of the default MIDI piano sound...

Basically, I want a piano roll playing a loaded WAV file instead of a selected MIDI sound...

Please let me know if it's possible to do that, and how to achieve it...

Regards, iBypass ;-)

Comments

iBypass wrote on 7/2/2018, 10:52 AM

No one have a clue about how to do that ? :-(

Am I the only one who want to use ACID as a sampler ?

iBypass

johnebaker wrote on 7/2/2018, 4:25 PM

Hi

. . . . I'm actually trying to load this little wav file in ACID (in the MIDI interface I guess by replacing an existing MIDI sound perhaps? . . . . Basically, I want a piano roll playing a loaded WAV file instead of a selected MIDI sound . . . .

It is not possible to import a WAV or any other audio format file into the MIDI piano roll.

Wav and other audio formats are the final sound file that can be played in a player, MIDI files are not playable on their own, they contain instructions for a MIDI instrument or device to interpret and play.

If I understand correctly - are you wanting to take a WAV file and cut it up to save as loops which you can the add to a timeline to create to other rhythms?

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

iBypass wrote on 7/2/2018, 8:35 PM

Exactly ! We were doing this all the time a long time ago when I was using Cakewalk v3.0 ... (I told your LONG time ago didn't I ?) ...

Let me explain... in Cakewalk, from the default 128 MIDI sounds, it was possible to load a WAV file in memory and replace the actual sound for a given MIDI channel ... let's say Default MIDI sound on channel 1 is "Acoustic Grand Piano" ... well ... in cakewalk we were able to load a short WAV file in memory for channel 1, and then when we were playing / drawing notes on the piano roll, on channel 1, that WAV file was playing instead of the embedded sound of "Acoustic Grand Piano" ... just like "loading" a sound in a keyboard ! It was super fun and very usefull for megamix effects because by playing higher notes, the sound became  higher and was playing faster... and by playing lower notes, the sound was playing lower and slower... that way we were using the piano roll as a sampler !

That's it... I tried to explain the best I can... I though it was also possible to do the same in ACID Pro... ?

Thanks for your time, it's appreciated.

Regards, iBypass ;-)