Keeps Losing License - SF 12.1 Build 170 64 bit

sathyme wrote on 7/15/2021, 2:14 PM

This just started Yesterday - and of course in the middle of trying to save. It says:

An error occurred while creating the media file. There is no license to use this software.

SO THEN - I have to go through all the de-registering steps etc. EVERY TIME. I replicated the problem and it seems when I go from WIFI to Ethernet cable (When I have an important session - I plug an Ethernet cable DIRECTLY into my Laptop - so I won't lose the clients in a Directed Session - Voice Over) it won't allow me to save anything. I even tried to use SF 9 which I STILL have on my laptop - and it just won't let me use that either. AND I have been doing the Ethernet thing for the last 2 years and no problem until now.

This laptop is Win. 7 - Lenovo

I use - not that it matters - Scarlet 2i2

Can anyone help me with this - I can' afford to lose work b/c of this.

Comments

rraud wrote on 7/15/2021, 4:28 PM

Hi @sathyme, I would suspect an OS issue if Sound Forge was OK before..
If that is the case, Windows 10 updates are a frequent cause of many issues, try rolling back to a previous OS build.
Have your tried another audio app, Try Reaper's (full functioning) demo version and/or Audacity, both are free. As an experiment try the the PCs internal soundcard, Scarlet interface issues with SF is not unheard of. Otherwise you can request tech support from Magix btw, it is a bit confusing if you've not submitted a request before,, Link to cheat sheet:

sathyme wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:16 PM

Thank you - and actually - They must have changed since your Tech Support Request - AS - I followed your CHEAT SHEET - and you have NO CHOICE but to click on the "Perhaps This May Help..." part - But after all of that you can get to "MAGIX Help Center - Create your Request" - But you are correct IT IS confusing - And I am using Windows 7 - and there was an update a few days ago - BUT that should not affect the Software like that - SO instead of "rolling back" which will be a hassle - I put in a Request. THANK YOU! - If you like - I'll write back if they solve it.

rraud wrote on 7/15/2021, 6:36 PM

If you like - I'll write back if they solve it.

Yes, please post updates on this thread. thx

sathyme wrote on 7/16/2021, 10:53 AM

Hi - So They got back to me really Early this morning -Pretty fast I think - and this is what they said:

"Greetings from Sound Forge Support,

thank you for contacting us.  Yes, this is a bit strange--since the Windows update there have been a couple of cases with this, but it seems to not happen with version 15...."

So they gave me a Serial No. for a permanent install for SF 15 - But before I install it - I had a few questions which I have just sent them Also - They said:

"...does not include the bundled iZotope plugins (they are only slightly updated versions of the iZotope plugins that came with 12, which you already have)."

However - I explained to them - I bought RX8 - SatndAlone & Plugins BEFORE I installed SF12 - and I had a question about can I still install them in SF15 AND that SF 12 came with 2 licenses - and I have a backup computer running Win 10 - with SF 12 on it - Can I keep it that way (I haven't used it for recording in several months so don't know if it has the same issue) or can I use the SS# or upgrade on that computer as well. So just awaiting their response before I do anything.

So THANKS AGAIn for all of your help!!

rraud wrote on 7/16/2021, 1:07 PM

The SF activations have nothing to do with RX-8, as long RX-8 can be used as a VST plug-in, it should work in SF 12 and 15. You should not have to re-install RX either. Any other iZotope VST plug-in should work as well. You may have to designate new alternate VST search folders though in SF... that is not automatic. The VST search settings in SF Pro are in "Options> Preferences> VST effects". AS may be similar.

Each Sound Forge version allows two activations, so you can have versions 12 and 15 on both your PCs.

btw @sathyme, that was nice of Magix support to give you a free upgrade.