Comments

gjonny wrote on 9/9/2023, 6:04 PM

@philthedoctor

>> join a few different soundpool loops together to make them into one longer loop 
Yes.  See "Takes" in the Help file.
And, from the Menu:

>> slowly make the volume of them lower as they are played.
You don't need Takes for this, just use the Volume Curve:

philthedoctor wrote on 9/10/2023, 11:06 AM

All over my head trying to work that out, thanks for the reply though, much appreciated.

gjonny wrote on 9/10/2023, 2:41 PM

@philthedoctor

Can you say more about where the confusion lies for you?

philthedoctor wrote on 9/10/2023, 2:46 PM

I highlighted the line of loops, right clicked and selected automation, then volume curve but they all just let me alter each loops volume separately. I thought it would let me drag the volume across the multiple loops 🤷‍♂️

gjonny wrote on 9/10/2023, 7:59 PM

@philthedoctor

I have to do some backtracking here . . .
It's not "Takes" that joins loops, but "Combine Audio". Apologies for adding to the confusion.

[quote]
Combine audio...
This function can combine the project or segments of the project into a single audio/video object. Please read more on this in the section Combine audio
Keyboard shortcut:
Ctrl+Shift+G
[/quote]

Note: the section is actually Audio mixdown ("Mix Audio" in Help and p56 in the manual) and is under Edit, Track.  (courtesy of @johnebaker)

>> but they all just let me alter each loops volume separately.
If you work with individual loops in the Arranger, that's correct.

If you work with the combined audio (not Takes), then it treats the combination as one loop. (not sure why it has to be such an ugly color)

philthedoctor wrote on 9/13/2023, 5:24 PM

i'll give it a go, thanks again.

browj2 wrote on 9/13/2023, 9:00 PM

@philthedoctor

Hi,

There are object curves and track curves. You want track volume curves. Right-click on an empty area of the track and select "Display track curves" then "Volume. A green line will appear at the top of the track. Double click on it where you want to put a point. You can drag a point up/down/sideways.

Track curves work for both audio and MIDI objects on that track.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

gjonny wrote on 9/14/2023, 2:36 PM

@browj2
You said "You want track volume curves."

Can you please explain why he would "want" to do this?  It's certainly another way to do a volume curve. And visually, in the Arranger, the curve appears to be more obvious than the combined loop curve.  But the OP did ask about a curve on loops, not the whole track?

johnebaker wrote on 9/14/2023, 2:44 PM

@gjonny

Hi

. . . . You want track volume curves." . . . .

@browj2 solution to use Track volume curves is a valid method to the OP's question particularly if the loops are sequential on one track

. . . . .  i join a few different soundpool loops to gether to make them into one longer loop? I want to do this so i can slowly make the volume of them lower as they are played . . . .

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gjonny wrote on 9/14/2023, 3:33 PM

@johnebaker

>> is a valid method to the OP's question 

I don't argue that it's a valid method. If @browj2 had said "another way to do this is . . ." it would have made more sense to me. I will point out again that the OP asked about a curve on joined loops, not on the whole track. You can call me a picky [whatever], but there is a distinction to be made here, I think.

I'm also wondering why you feel the need to jump so quickly to @browj2 's defense? It seems to me he's quite capable of speaking for himself.

browj2 wrote on 9/14/2023, 9:41 PM

@gjonny

Hi,

The OP wanted to join the loops to be able to do what is simply done using a track curve - no need to join the loops. That is the normal way and that is why I mentioned it. There are other ways more complicated to do the same thing, but why do them?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

johnebaker wrote on 9/15/2023, 4:57 AM

@gjonny

Hi

I too have to backtrack/clarify a bit as I forgot to mention that this is my standard method, both in Music Maker and the video editors Video Pro X and Movie Studio for adjusting the audio level variation of a track including long fade outs over several consecutive audio clips/objects.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 wrote on 9/15/2023, 7:05 AM

@gjonny

Hi,

Further explanation after a coffee.

The Op wanted to join the loops "so i can slowly make the volume of them lower as they are played." The objective was to be able to adjust the volume over the loops slowly, not join the loops. Joining the loops was part of a method to use a particular tool, object volume curve, which, as I pointed out, is not the best to achieve the objective.

It appeared to me that the Op was not aware of the Track Volume Curve, only the Object Volume Curve, so he was trying a method to be able to use the Object Volume Curve, and that method was complicated and not the best solution. My reply was that there was an easier way - no need to join loops, just use the Track Volume Curve.

@philthedoctor Curves that can be adjusted are known as Automation Curves. For more on Automation Curves, see that topic (page 180) in the Music Maker manual.

As John EB points out about using Track Volume Curves in VPX/MMS, I do the same and also in Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab (no object volume curve, only track volume curve) and in Samplitude. Unfortunately, track volume automation in Music Maker is limited to manually putting points on the curve or using Draw Mouse Mode. The latter is difficult because one cannot draw on the Track Volume Curve over an object without starting in a blank area. We should be able to do this. In the Op's case, the amount of automation is quite simple, just a few points to lower the volume over time, and using a Track Volume Curve is the simplest and best solution. One caveat, the volume curve is with the track so moving the object(s) does not move the volume curve with it. Using track level automation should be done only after the objects are fixed in time.

In the video editors mentioned, track level automation can be done in the Mixer by adjusting the Volume slider during playback. Music Maker does not have this capability. In Samplitude, there is extensive (mind-boggling) capability for automation.

John CB

John C.B.

gjonny wrote on 9/15/2023, 9:29 AM

@johnebaker  @browj2

Guys . . . 
"standard method" and "the normal way"  are like saying "that's just the way it's done" -- where's the rationale behind such statements?  That's what I was wanting.

@browj2
>> Further explanation after a coffee. 
:-) Thanks for the explanation -- things make more sense now.  I learned about combining loops last year, from a question by David Barselow, but I haven't used the process in my own pieces. Nor have I used a track curve.  Perhaps if I'd had some actual experience, I might not have felt the need to challenge your comments.

@philthedoctor
So, now you have 2 ways to do a volume curve.  The simplicity of a track curve notwithstanding, I suggest you try them both.

philthedoctor wrote on 9/15/2023, 5:18 PM

Thanks for all the help, sorry it seems to have caused a bit of consternation. Thanks to you guys i have now "combined" loops to make one bigger loop and i have made a track volume curve to alter that bigger loops volume up and down as it plays. I have one more quick thing to ask before i treat you, with a single normal loop can i add more of the volume dots to the volume line in that loop so i can make the volume go up and down in different places on one loop?

As a treat ( well i think it's a treat :) ) here's something i did recently. It was all done using the magix DAW and without the knowledge you guys have shared with me, enjoy :)

gjonny wrote on 9/16/2023, 12:46 AM

@philthedoctor

>> with a single normal loop can i add more of the volume dots to the volume line in that loop so i can make the volume go up and down in different places on one loop?

If you mean something like this (below), then yes. Ahem, now that you're gaining some comfort playing around with volume curves, I'm not sure why you didn't try this yourself? ;-)

Interesting "treat", though I didn't stay long, it's not my genre.

browj2 wrote on 9/16/2023, 7:38 AM

@philthedoctor

Hi,

Further to what @gjonny showed you, in the image below I show both object and track volume curves. The points on the object volume curves were made by turning on Automation (button in red circle) so you can see that there a lot of them. If you use Automation, be sure to put the mouse mode back to Move afterwards. The points on the track volume curve were set by double-clicking on the line and move them. Automation also works on the track volume curve as well as other types of curves or envelopes.

I do suggest that you go through the manual.

John CB

John C.B.