Is there a way to ourge the proxy files?

jeffjn wrote on 3/9/2013, 6:30 AM

Hi, newbie to Magix x5 here :-)

I began a project whils I was still running the trial version, and hit the issue with renders being limited to 3 minutes. I've now bought the program, and unfortunatly the proxy files are still too short - I just get balck level after 3 minutes.

Is there a way of managing the proxy files to cause then to be regenerated? I'm not entirely confident of trying to manually delete the files and how to force then to be remade.

(I'm slowly working my way through the manual, but this is slowing me down some and wondered if anyone had a quick answer. TIA)

The title should read Purge. There doesn't seem to be a way to edit it?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/9/2013, 9:00 AM

Hi

MEP does not create proxy files as such, it does however create temporary files.

Search for and delete in the projects folder the following if they exist .HDP , .H0 and mxfilerelatedcache.mxc2 - note ensure you can see hidden files in Windows Explorer.

These files will be recreated when you create a project.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/9/2013, 9:00 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

jeffjn wrote on 3/9/2013, 1:22 PM

Hi

MEP does not create proxy files as such, it does however create temporary files.

John

Thanks John ,but I'm not using MEP, I'm using Video Pro X5, which does create proxy files when you put a clip into the project folder or on the timeline if you set the project to do so. As I'm doing Multicam with mts and H264 mov files it's a bit of a strain so I'm using the proxy feature.

I asume you are talking about preview files, but I've now discovered the mpeg-2 SD files are in the same folder as the source files. I'm a bit loath to just start deleting them and was hoping that there might be a way of deleting only the proxy files associated with a certain project rather than risking deleting the wrong things.

johnebaker wrote on 3/9/2013, 2:29 PM

Hi

Sorry misread the version you were using - Magix x5 = VPX 5.

I do not use proxy files when editing my full HD mts and mov files

It is not clear from your question if there is one long video clip on the timeline or many shorter clips - there should be one proxy file per video clip.

If there is only one long clip on the timeline, then move the proxy file for that clip to another folder and open the project again to see if the proxy file is recreated correctly.

If you create a new project and add more than 3 mins of video - not the ones used before - does this render OK?

If not I suspect there may a setting from the trial version lingering around which is restricting the project created on the trial version or may be, if you can still only render 3 mins on a new project, restricting VPX 5 full version.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/9/2013, 2:29 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

jeffjn wrote on 3/10/2013, 4:24 AM

Thanks John. This problem stems from continuing to work on a project that I started before I upgraded to the full version. I was using long clips - 11 minute DSLR files - but then trimmed either in the source viewer ot on the timline into shorter clips. I realised that I wasn't going to be able to work with long clips in the trial version and bit the bullet and paid for the program

However, when I started a fresh project using the same clips, the program resused the (short) proxy files already created.

The solution I used is similar to your suggestion - identify the incomplete proxy files, delete them and that seems to force their re-creation. So it's not something that wil be an ongoing issue!

I'm slightly concerned about how I clear up after I've finished a project - I will be keeping the source files but really don't want to have the proxy files hanging around on my hard disc forever. I'm suprised that they are placed in the same folder as the source files. Is the only solution to tidy up manually? Hardly an onorous task but prone to mistakes ;-)

johnebaker wrote on 3/10/2013, 5:23 AM

Hi

VPX has a Clean-up wizard which you can run against the project - File, Clean-uo wizard.

I think this will do what you want - test carefully first though.

I use external hard drives for archiving all my projects and documents and use Syncback to copy the files from my computer internal editing drive.

With Syncback and some other backup programs you can set up exclusions so that temp files eg .HDP and .H0 etc are not copied.

Once I have a good backups - I duplicate a project to 2 ext HDD - I delete the project folder from the editing drive

Depending on how you have structured your project folder you could 'archive' it this way to another folder on a hard drive.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/10/2013, 5:23 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

jeffjn wrote on 3/10/2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks John - I hadn't spotted that. I'll investigate it (carefully!) when I've finished the project and backed it up :-)