Is there a way to batch delete unused files?

James-Jones5552 wrote on 10/9/2022, 7:56 PM

I've noticed I have alot of unused files sitting in my documents folder, primarily from re-recording pieces I may have messed up or decided to change later, and I'm just wondering if there's a way to batch delete those files. Like, is the program capable of looking at all the files it uses in my saved projects and deleting files whose names are not found in any saved projects? I'm still on AP10 btw, sorry if this is something AP11 can do, I have no way of knowing.

Comments

PATIENT-X wrote on 10/9/2022, 8:17 PM

@James-Jones5552

Hello, welcome

If you can see all the files you do not use, why not just drag the mouse over the files and right click delete.

Stephen

Forum Moderator

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

sheppo wrote on 10/10/2022, 5:41 AM

Hi @James-Jones5552 There's not a way for Acid to clean up files in the default working folder.

For existing projects what you can do, however, is ensure source files are saved with your projects

1. tool -> remove all un-used clips
  2. re-save all your projects with "copy all media with project" option enabled,
  3. save the project to a dedicated project folder.
  4. Clean out the default project folder
    • you are safe to delete this entirely once you have resaved all the projects you care about.

for future projects you can prevent from getting in to this state by

1. changing settings -> preferences -> folders
  2. either set one folder for everything, or set individual items
    • change this to <project>
  3. save your project in to a dedicated folder
  4. Now all new items (e.g. recorded audio) will now appear in the folder you saved your project
  5. I think you will need to save your project initially before recording new content..

hope that helps