Instruments and midi won't work

Mikro.Jam wrote on 3/29/2021, 2:48 PM

I've been using everything fine up until this morning, when I booted up the program and all of a sudden, it wouldn't read velocity from my midi keyboard and even when I tried clicking on the keys on instruments like Grand Piano with the mouse, it wouldn't click the keys and the pitch and mod wheels wouldn't move either.

Does anyone have any idea what might be happening?

I'm using music maker free.

I've already checked my midi in and out setting and they're bot set to my keyboard and everything else seems normal.

Just can't seem to play any notes.

I also noticed that I can't set where I want to playback from for one of my projects. Whenever I click on a part later on in the timeline, it just keeps restarting from the beginning of the project.

Comments

SP. wrote on 3/29/2021, 3:04 PM

@Mikro.Jam Does View > Standard Layout (or pressing F4 on your keyboard) help with the start position problem? For the playback you have to check the audio settings inside the program settings. Maybe the audio driver changed for some unknown reason. You need to select the ASIO driver.

Mikro.Jam wrote on 3/29/2021, 3:16 PM

@Mikro.Jam Does View > Standard Layout (or pressing F4 on your keyboard) help with the start position problem? For the playback you have to check the audio settings inside the program settings. Maybe the audio driver changed for some unknown reason. You need to select the ASIO driver.

This worked! Thank you!

Instruments unfortunately still don't, so I've opened a ticket with support.

Peter-Legg wrote on 3/30/2021, 9:04 AM

Hi I'm new to Magix Music Maker and had a lot of trouble with the instruments not loading and tried just about every solution I could find here. I was using the 29 update although it was still not working properly in the previous version. As a last result I turned off the Anti Virus (I use Fsecure) on my PC uninstalled Music maker and then reinstalled it. I then restarted my AV. Music Maker worked perfectly and all my instruments were available to me. However the next day they had disappeared again when I restarted my PC from cold. I then went into my AV and selected tools then the App and file control then Deep scan, then the excluded tab.. I added the C:\ Program files\Magix folder into the excluded tab and started Music Maker. It worked perfectly and has continued to do so. It seems that some AV programs treat some parts of Music Maker as suspicious and so blocks them. The instrument dlls especially. I Hope that This info helps

SP. wrote on 3/30/2021, 9:17 AM

@Peter-Legg That is very helpful information! Thanks for letting us know how you solved the problem.

ClausE-Hansen wrote on 7/10/2021, 3:16 PM

Thanks,
I fact i have contacted f-secure regarding this issue, as i had the same problem.
I will update here when i hear from f-secure.
This might very well end up Magix and F-secure pointing at each other.
But excluding Magix folders should not be the solution.

/Claus

johnebaker wrote on 7/10/2021, 3:27 PM

@Peter-Legg, @ClausE-Hansen

Hi

This is a known issue with some AV's - Avast, AVG, Bitdefender and Windows Defender are also known to cause installation issues - see this comment from Magix.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

ClausE-Hansen wrote on 7/10/2021, 3:34 PM

It might very well be a known issue, BUT.
I think "someone" (Magix) has a task here. Especially when you say it is not only f-secure.
If all software had issues, and we just excluded the folders, the aw programs would be worth nothing.
After working with IT-security for many years, i cant just sit back accepting that.

johnebaker wrote on 7/10/2021, 4:15 PM

@ClausE-Hansen

Hi

As you will know the Heuristic detection features of AV's are prone to producing false positives, these need reporting to the AV developers and Magix, who do work with AV developers, for action and eventually (hopefully) a patch issued by the AV developers.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.