Installation Error Code 1638 Another Version Already Installed

Edward-Hamaty wrote on 3/11/2021, 9:24 PM

I initially installed Music Maker Plus with no difficulty. I upgraded to Music Maker Premium and tried to install it over the original. For some reason it said that the versions were the same, they are not. The file sizes are different. I uninstalled the Plus version and when I try to install the Premium Version I get the Installation Error Code 1638 Another version of this product already exists. To configure or remove the existing version of this product use Add/Remove Programs. However Music Maker Plus is no longer listed under Add/Remove Programs. I have tried to manually delete the files and remove the Registry References with no success.

I have also tried to reinstall the Plus version, but now cannot and get the same error.

Any thoughts about how to get around this vexing issue and get the Premium version installed?

Thanks

Comments

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/11/2021, 9:38 PM

@Edward-Hamaty

Hello, Welcome

So you went into regedit/edit/find and entered magix in search box to remove all items?

Revo is a great free uninstaller to remove all remnants of an application and from the registry.

If you manage to remove everything by using the Revo uninstaller, try to re-install and temporarily disable your antivirus software.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

Intel Core i5-13600K Processor 3.5GHz

Kingston FURY Beast 32GB (16GB x 2) 4800MHz DDR5

Geforce RTX2080 Founders edition

Firecuda 530 1tb SSD Nvme

Team Group T-FORCE DELTA MAX RGB LITE 2.5" 1TB SATA III

Corsair RM1000x 80 PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX 1000 Watt Power Supply

5in LCD Screen

Lian Li UNI SL120 V2 triple fans

MSI Meg Unify Z690 motherboard

Edward-Hamaty wrote on 3/11/2021, 9:42 PM

Thank you for your quick answer. I did not mention that I used Ashampoo Uninstaller Ver 10 without luck; but I will try the Revo product.

Edward-Hamaty wrote on 3/11/2021, 10:20 PM

Unfortunately, the Music Magic program was not listed under the Revo Uninstaller either.

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/11/2021, 11:19 PM

@Edward-Hamaty

In Windows 10, open Settings > Apps > Apps and Features. Check if the program is listed here and uninstall.

Did you try temporarily disabling your anti virus and turn off your firewall and re-install Music maker Premium?

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 3/11/2021, 11:43 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/11/2021, 11:52 PM

@Edward-Hamaty

Error code 1638 could also be a Visual++C error.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

johnebaker wrote on 3/12/2021, 4:02 AM

@Edward-Hamaty

Hi

. . . . I upgraded to Music Maker Premium and tried to install it over the original. For some reason it said that the versions were the same, they are not. . . .

Which version of Music Maker (MMM) did you upgrade from and to?

If this was MMM 2017 - 2020 - all versions, Plus, Premium etc have the same core program which gets installed first - this also applies to MMM 2021.

Activation unlocks the appropriate extra content, functions and features available for the specific version are unlocked for download and installation.

Assuming the upgrade was to MMM 2021 then the 1638 error message would suggest that the 2021 version was indeed installed.

. . . .  The file sizes are different . . . .

I suspect you had, for example, MMM 2020 and updated it to its the 29.0.4.25 patch - this would have upgraded MMM 2020 to the 2021 version using the MMM 2020 serial number - several users have been caught out by this.

The installer for MMM 2021, a 64 bit program, is larger than the 2020, 32 bit program, installer.

See this Microsoft article for problems with install/uninstall of programs.

Once this is fixed and you get the program installed and activated you will have to download and install all the Extra Content again for MMM 2021 as it too has been upgraded.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Edward-Hamaty wrote on 3/12/2021, 7:47 PM

For the Patient-X suggestions, Thank you, unfortunately, the program is not visible under the Settings>Apps and Features. I, also, thought about a Microsoft Visual C++ error and manually uninstalled it and tried to re-install the program. No luck. I will try John EB's suggestions now. John, as you can see in my original posts above, these were the current versions of both programs that I downloaded from the website just this week. In reading your explanation I think it sounds exactly like what is going on. I will check out the Microsoft article referenced above and work through the solutions and let everyone know if I am successful.

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/12/2021, 7:57 PM

@Edward-Hamaty @johnebaker

Hello

Thanks for the update, with Johns expert advice I am sure you will sort it out, good luck.

Last changed by PATIENT-X on 3/12/2021, 8:15 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

Edward-Hamaty wrote on 3/17/2021, 8:28 AM

I finally solved this problem. So for future customers with this issue. I found the error file created that gets sent to support. Opened it with Notepad and found the Main Product Code, which in my case looked like this: MainProductCode = {500A036B-F08F-4E9E-ADC0-4EF3BA4D6C0D}. I copied and pasted this into the search function of the Registry Editor and removed any keys referencing this Code. I also manually removed any files and folders that the Registry pointed to. Then when I tried to reinstall the program, instead of triggering the installation process, it brought up the remove program option, which did nothing. That is when I downloaded the "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed" that John referenced from Microsoft. Running that I chose the Name Not Listed Option and copied the MainProductCode from above into that and choose the difficulty uninstalling option. That then ran and removed the final traces of the program from the system.

I re-ran the installation program and it installed and is working normally.

I hope that is clear and helps. I appreciated both of your efforts to help and since you were responsive to me and I figured it out and wanted to let you know how I was able to get the problem fixed in case you are faced with it again.

If you have any questions, or something in that explanation was not clear, please reach out. I would be happy to further explain.

PATIENT-X wrote on 3/17/2021, 8:43 AM

@Edward-Hamaty

Thank you for the follow up and help guide to sort it out.

Pc self build by me.

Azza Pyramid 804 case

5in LCD Screen

Kareem91 wrote on 9/2/2022, 1:51 AM

I finally solved this problem. So for future customers with this issue. I found the error file created that gets sent to support. Opened it with Notepad and found the Main Product Code, which in my case looked like this: MainProductCode = {500A036B-F08F-4E9E-ADC0-4EF3BA4D6C0D}. I copied and pasted this into the search function of the Registry Editor and removed any keys referencing this Code. I also manually removed any files and folders that the Registry pointed to. Then when I tried to reinstall the program, instead of triggering the installation process, it brought up the remove program option, which did nothing. That is when I downloaded the "Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed" that John referenced from Microsoft. Running that I chose the Name Not Listed Option and copied the MainProductCode from above into that and choose the difficulty uninstalling option. That then ran and removed the final traces of the program from the system.

I re-ran the installation program and it installed and is working normally.

I hope that is clear and helps. I appreciated both of your efforts to help and since you were responsive to me and I figured it out and wanted to let you know how I was able to get the problem fixed in case you are faced with it again.

If you have any questions, or something in that explanation was not clear, please reach out. I would be happy to further explain.

Where did you find the MainProductCode?

My error report doesn't have such thing. Only an order number.