Inline MIDI with custom instruments (external wav files)

dennis-ninetynine wrote on 12/20/2022, 9:55 AM

Excuse me if this topic has been discussed again but I cannot find the answer. I am using ACID Studio and I am looking for the way to use inline MIDI interface with custom instruments, to use external .wav files inside the MIDI interface. With this way I could use the MIDI interface to use the one-shot .wav instruments as well as the special envelopes like pitch bend.

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 12/20/2022, 10:14 AM

@dennis-ninetynine

I'm not wholly certain what you are asking but you cannot use .wav (audio) files in a MIDI editor, they are two quite different things! (My apologies if you already knew this.)

MIDI data, unlike Audio data, contains NO actual sounds, only a series of commands which tells a MIDI-equipped sound generator (e.g., external keyboard, built-in VSTi, or similar) exactly which note(s) to sound, how "loud", for how long, etc. etc. The data can also tell the attached sound source exactly which voice (sound) is to be used.

If I have completely misunderstood what you are seeking to do again I apologise.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 12/20/2022, 10:44 AM

@dennis-ninetynine I suspect what you want is to use a sampler VST? With it you can place audio samples on a virtual keyboard and then trigger these sounds with MIDI notes. A free sampler VST is, for example TX16Wx. In case you use a version of ACID that comes with the Magix Independence sampler, you could also use that.

dennis-ninetynine wrote on 12/20/2022, 1:36 PM

@emmrecs Thank you very much for your answer.
My question wasn't clear enough so I will explain. I know exactly what is MIDI and what is a wav sound. But when I use an inline MIDI interface inside ACID I can only hear the piano and many other built in instruments. I want the MIDI (the data) to trigger the sound of my custom instrument, in this case my wav file.

SP. wrote on 12/20/2022, 2:03 PM

@dennis-ninetynine Set the MIDI output correctly for the track so that the MIDI gets send to the interface.

dennis-ninetynine wrote on 12/20/2022, 2:14 PM

Thank you @SP. for all your answers. Although I am using ACID for so many years, I have been always using loops (in the past) and one-shot sounds now with +/- (it's true I have created whole songs with one shot + and - for music notes).

I really don't know how to set the MIDI output to the sound I want.

emmrecs wrote on 12/20/2022, 2:38 PM

@dennis-ninetynine

If again I’ve understood correctly I don’t think you can do what you want, sorry. Unless your wav file is actually a series of single samples, with a range of velocities, attacks etc. and with each sample allocated a MIDI note number, I can’t see how the MIDI editor will “talk” to your wav file.

I would be delighted to be proved completely wrong!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

dennis-ninetynine wrote on 12/20/2022, 3:57 PM

So when having a MIDI track, you can only produce sounds from a specific midi library...

If I want to have my own sounds I will have to create my own midi library (or whatever is called) or continue using one-shot sounds with pitch shift for each music note.

Great thanks. I am now more aware of those things!

SP. wrote on 12/20/2022, 4:03 PM

@dennis-ninetynine What you want is a sampler VST. Maybe try TX16Wx and watch some videos about it.