Independence Free and ProTools? Compatible? How does it work?

nila-k wrote on 4/15/2021, 10:56 PM

Hello,

I was hoping to be able to use the Independence Free sampler to put a sample into Pro Tools and trigger it with my midi controller. Will this work? I thought the download said they were compatible, but maybe not. I am not quite sure what the standalone sampler is used for or with. This is for the Independence Free up on the website right now, which I just installed today. And I am using the newest version of ProTools.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/16/2021, 3:49 AM

@nila-k The free version should work fine if it runs on your operating system. Were you able to load it as a plugin inside ProTools? The free version can load up to 25 samples if I remember it correctly.

nila-k wrote on 4/16/2021, 8:21 AM

Thanks for responding! I have not been able to load it as a plug-in on an instrument track inside of a Pro Tools project if that is what you mean. It does not show up. I used the standard installation of Independence and let it put the files where it wanted to inside my hard drive. The standalone Independence Free sampler works great, but it just will not show up in Pro Tools

Neither Pro Tools or Independence has how-to's in their reference manuals on installing 3rd party plugins so one would think it would be easy. Also I'm a newbie, but still...

SP. wrote on 4/16/2021, 9:39 AM

@nila-k Some bad news, I looked up that ProTools needs plugins in AAX format and Independence only comes in VST format and AU format. So you need at least an AAX plugin that can load other plugin.

For example, you could use Blue Cat's PatchWork or DDMF Metaplugin. Both options cost money.

nila-k wrote on 4/16/2021, 9:42 AM

Thanks! Yes, I was thinking this might be what I have to do! Hahaha a plugin for my plugin.

nila-k wrote on 4/16/2021, 6:26 PM

update the ddmf plugin works, I am now able to use Independence free in Pro Tools. Thanks for the help!