Independence Blues

doug-o wrote on 9/26/2021, 12:01 AM

Hi - -

I had high hopes for this plugin, but have spent hours just trying to install it, with no success.

I had a folder called "Independence Pro" on my external drive, installed from a different computer, and when I tried to add this library to Independence on this machine, the installation manager said it would take 60 hours, and started cranking away. I soon realized it wasn't joking, and pressed cancel. It then asked if I wanted to delete installation files, which I assumed were being written/copied somewhere else on my machine, so pressed "yes", upon which the entire contents of the Independence Pro folder was deleted. I then re-downloaded "additional content", ran the installation, but can't find a folder called "Independence Pro" anywhere on my computer -- including hidden folders. The Independence plugin can't find them either. I can't manually add the library to Independence because I can't find it.

I had wanted to install all the "additional content" libraries on the external drive, so I could use them on different computers, but the installation manager didn't ask me where to install them. I see 6 gigs of content in the hidden folder "ProgramData/Magix" (where I don't really want it), but none of this appears to be the Independence Library. Oh Magix -- it shouldn't be this hard...

Update -

I closed and reopened Samp, and now it offers to install the Independence Library. I choose "online", and Samp is now re-downloading the content. On my 39mbs broadband, it will apparently be taking 67 hours.

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/26/2021, 5:09 AM

@doug-o If download is so slow I would advise you to disable Windows Defender or your firewall temporarily. Maybe they check every of the thousands of files which can slow down the installation massively. If this doesn't help and the download speed of the servers is the problem you could try and ask support at infoservice@magix.net if they can send you a direct download link of the ISO files.

doug-o wrote on 9/27/2021, 2:29 AM

Thanks for the tips, SP. I poked around and found that the bottleneck was my hard drive. It's a fast drive, but Windows defaults to "quick removal" in properties/policies, which slowed it to a crawl. I enabled "better performance" (write caching), and install time went from 40 hours to 4. Who knew? ;-) That explains why the original library installation was also going to take 60 hours.

It's still unfortunate that the library installer deleted my existing install (installed from a different computer) -- I can't see a reason for anyone wanting that to happen...