I recently published my website after several changes, but it shows to be "under construction". Why?

dav-lyn wrote on 12/1/2013, 11:37 PM

I have made numerous changes to my website (dav-lyn farm) over the last several days.  I am using Website Maker.  I have saved my changes and published the new website.  But when I attempt to go to the site online I get a Magix message that the website is "under construction".  This has been going on for about 12 hours.  How do I fix this?  I am using a Lenovo computer on Windows 7.  I am not using Xara.

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 12/2/2013, 11:18 AM

Hi,

A couple of questions for you.  First give the changes 24 to 48 hours to take effect especially if you are operating your site using a free Magix hosting account.  Second are you absolutely certain that your domain name or hosting account have not expired.  Magix is not very good at notifying people of domain name or free hosting account expiration.  Both free and paid domain names and hosting accounts are only valid for 1 year from the date of purchase or acquisition so if your account has expired and you did not renew (even though you may not have been notified) it will likely remain "under construction" forever.  You can try to search your domain name at the one of the "whois" sites to see who owns the domain.  For some reason, Magix holds on to domain names that people have registered through them (I have had this happen with one of my business sites) and could never find out how to get that name back in use even though I still show up as the domain owner, but Magix and or their affiliate being the registrar still control acces to updating the site.

Silly convoluted and hard to understand? Yes it is.  If you can't get it resolved, purchase a new domain name and hosting with someone like Godaddy, You will get numerous expiration notices from them, and have more than enough time to put your renewal in place.  Clearly to me at least having been burned once, Magix is not serious about domain name registration or hosting.  I will not make that mistake again. 

As for web creation software, I would not use any product from any company that is a online only design service simply because you are then limited to their site, their designs and their service of the product.

I do use the Xara Web Designer MX Premium product and I like it very much.  It is great if you want to use a drag and drop approach and not worry about writing html.  I then upload my sites using the free version of Filezilla via ftp to my Godaddy accounts and all works well.

All of this for a new and or inexperienced web site designer causes a lot of pain and frustration, and I really get annoyed with the companies that make it so easy to get started, and then leave you high and dry.  Magix has some really good products, but Website Maker, their hosting, and their domain registration services are not among their strengths.

I would be happy to give you more ideas and advice on this topic.  I will also look up your web site "whois" information if you care to share your url with me either on this site or by sending me a private message.

George

johnebaker wrote on 12/2/2013, 3:48 PM

Hi

If this is your website:

http://davlyn.magix.net/website#Home

then it is working.

What is not working is

http://davlyn.magix.net

I suspect when you uploaded/created the website you have uploaded/created a folder, possibly called 'website', and its contents.  You need to upload or create the contents of the 'website' folder in the location pointed to by your domain name .

Putting it simply - your files /web site are in the wrong location ie a probably a folder called 'website' - they need to be in tha same location as this folder - not in it.

Hope this makes sense.

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 12/2/2013, 3:56 PM, changed a total of 5 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.