I have lots of Super 8mm tapes and the camcorder is now showing them jumping / static. Are the tapes bad or the camcorder or can you tell by description?

mabconsulting wrote on 9/2/2013, 1:07 PM

I have a Sharp Camcorder and less than 1 year ago it was showing them / replaying them without any issues. 

Also I bought the software and hardware to capture them to DVD but not sure if it will work? 

Additional question on the software: I can't get the data to save to the computer and only to the DVD but when I save it to the DVD, I only get one set of about 4-5 frames and not the whole recording (wasting a lot of DVDs experimenting).  Any help on this w/b good too. get a msg saying not saved and to redo the settings and chk space on the h/d; have about 60 gig though?

Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 9/2/2013, 1:32 PM

Hi,

I am going to assume that you mean Hi 8 video tapes and not Super 8.  Super 8 is a film format and Hi 8 is a video format.  If you indeed have the Hi 8 video format, in your camcorder, fast foreward to the end of the tape, then rewind it back to the beginning before you try to digitize it.  Doing this will pack the tape so that you will have the least likelyhood of getting tape speed issues.  You should be able to capture them, but don't write them directly to DVD, capture them on your computer hard drive first.  The "static" you see is probably from when you started filming after the camera was either paused or turned off.  That almost always happens with analog camcorders.  Those are the parts that you need to edit out with the software after you have digitized the whole tape.

That is about all I can think of for now.

Good luck,

George

yvon-robert wrote on 9/2/2013, 2:07 PM

Hi,

If your camera is a 8mm = VHS quality; if your camera is a Hi8 = SVHS qualité = Svideo = near DVD

VHS need a RCA cable like composite Yellow = video, Red and Black or White = audio

SVHS need a 5 pins cable plus RCA audio cable.

First thing to do before capturing is to clean the head in your camcoder using a special tape (dry or humid).

2) Avoid to play and rewind capture straight you can cut after because mouvement play and rewind cause problem when reading.

If your camera not work properly rent one don't go to repair house this cost a lot for nothing as usual near $200

Regards,

YR

johnebaker wrote on 9/2/2013, 2:37 PM

Hi

Try running the tapes through a fast forward and rewind before attempting to record - if they have been stored for a while in less then perfect conditions the tape tends to stick to its self.

The camcorder should have a Composite video out socket - if you look in the installed pdf manual for RYVT and for the camera you will find instructions how to connect it to your computer via a USB Video converter.

. . . . I can't get the data to save to the computer . . .

We need more information:-

Do you get any error messages?

Which version of RYVT are you using?

What is your computer specification and Windows version?

HTH

john

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/2/2013, 2:37 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

gandjcarr wrote on 9/2/2013, 3:40 PM

@John, didn't I say run the tape through FF and RW first to re-pack the tape?

George

johnebaker wrote on 9/2/2013, 4:01 PM

Hi

So you did George must have missed it - apologies

Cheers

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 9/2/2013, 4:01 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.