I feel sort of overwhelmed with Magix Video Pro X4 Is this the correct program for a beginner?

christianmcolon wrote on 1/19/2013, 9:14 PM

Hi Guys!

Thank you so much for everyones previous responses!

I am a total beginner in the Video editing world.    Did I make a mistake by starting with Video ProX4?

Is there a basic, easier to operate version of Video ProX?  I have attemted to burn a few of my very poorly done (beginner projects) on DVD for my family, they wont play on anyones DVD player! 

Always reads an AVCHD ERROR on the dvd player.  My dad has a sony blu ray player, it wont even play on it.

In the beginning when you create a project, I am not always sure what format to choose.  I always assume NTSC for USA, but 720? 1080? 4:3  16:9  I know these are screen resolutions, but which is a good format that will play on a universal dvd player?  A standard DVD player that the average person would have in their home?

I have not read the users manual for ProX and I feel now I should really look at it.  I wanted to learn by trial and error.  That is not working.

I REALLY REALLY want to use Magix because my cousin Kevin does professional (wedding films) with Magix ProX4, I have never seen anything so professional and quality.

I saw him edit a wedding trailer while I was in Germany a few months ago and I was inspired by his work. I want to do what he does in Germany here in South Florida!  (as a career)

If you want to see the awesome work he does with Video ProX4 (one day hopefully I can do)   

go to www.just-memories.de   look under films and appreciate the quality.  I WANT TO DO THIS!

This is my motivation and inspiration to keep trying with this software.

Thanks again,  Christian

Comments

jwjack44 wrote on 1/19/2013, 10:54 PM

While I'm new to Magix, I'm not new to video editing. I just got Movie Edit Pro 2013 Premium (MEP 2013P) and like it allot. It is the step down from Pro X4. While I'm sure Pro X4 has some intro videos, if you can't find them from the Help tab, go to the Magix site for MEP 2013P to review the intro videos there. The one on burning DVDs looks like something that could help.

The site is: http://www.magix.com/index.php?id=3901&L=111&phash=sjdzeEm5IPEUyDGC

While it may not be exactly like the Pro X4, it should give you an idea of what to do.

Trail and error is how I learned about the basic program; but after I learned some simple things, I broke out the book, watched the videos (check YouTube as well) and then asked questions in this forum. I got a lot of good help, and learned several cool things.

So now you have background, you now need to start looking at the videos and instructions for finding easy solutions.

Good luck.

gandjcarr wrote on 1/20/2013, 6:25 AM

Hi Christian,

I sent this to you via PM in response to your message but thought I would post it here so that others have the opportunity to see it as well.  AVCHD is not compatible with standard DVD players.  It requires at least a Blue ray player and even some of the early blu ray players will not be able to handle AVCHD.  As for what format to use, I would suggest that you never use a display resolution that is higher than your original source material or higher than the display resolution of the devices that you expect it to be played on.  Also, when you go to burn, do not burn as AVCHD unless your source material is actually shot in AVCHD AND your audience has the ability to play AVCHD material.

You can change the display resolution of a project by going to file/settings/movie and change it at the bottom of the "movie settings" tab.

Kevin's work is very good.  A lot of the quality in his video is due to high quality images as well as excellent camera work.  Great editing technique and of course a great editing product helps too.

If you are planning to make a career shooting and editing video, ProX4 is probably the right product because the license agreement clearly allows for commercial use.  Most if not all consumer level editing software either severely limit or prohibit commercial use.

George

George

gandjcarr wrote on 1/20/2013, 10:43 AM

Hi Christian,

One more comment, don't feel overwhelmed with either the software or learning how to edit.  It all just takes time and experience.  Just because some of the other products on the market seem easy to use and intuitive when you are just starting out, you will soon come to realize that what you get with simple and easy, you give in felixibility and creativity.  I have seen many people on this forum who started with the basic easy to use products and withing a few months are asking how to do things that those products are simply not capable of.

Hang in there learn as much as you can from wherever you can, and ask questions on this forum when you get stuck.

George

cpc000cpc wrote on 1/20/2013, 7:46 PM

Christian,

...and I was a bit overwhelmed by the breadth of your question!

I think George has covered the basic issues of DVD burning. Perhaps start with modest 16:9 standard definition DVD. 16:9 as that is getting to be the norm unless you're living under a rock with an old CRT TV! :-), and standard definition as it is most widely playable and modern players can do a great job to upscale for HD displays. DVD spec is maximum 720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 PAL / 720 x 480 NTSC. The 16:9 pixels are rectangular, not square.

I'm also impressed with your cousin's video, particularly the camera work -- beautiful and often imaginative composition, selective focus and perfect exposures! There's no need to worry about your editing till you have good shots! As a 'PRO' package, VPX may have fewer of the templates / presets / wizards than say MEP but look at Kevin's work with mostly jump cuts, some cross fades and only the very occasional fade to white or black. The wizz bang spinning flashing jumping stuff can be IMHO great fun, but do you want you product to sell your talent or just your editor? Note also the rhythm of Kevin's editing for the trailer. I'd be interested in how he handles longer shots, assuming he also does the typical full marriage ceremony. Does he have assistants to do multi camera work?  

Another 'pro' consideration is the tie between VPX and Magix's audio product Samplitude. I never went beyond a quick look with VPX 2.5 and my cut down Samplitude Producer version. Check on importing and exporting EDL files.

Regards,

Carl

Arthur-LW wrote on 5/13/2013, 7:20 PM

No question about it, Christian.  This Magix thingy is a mind blower.  LOL  I had some experience with others, and while there was a learning curve with them all, this one takes the cake for downright brutal.  <wry smile>

What made it a bit easier for me was to buy a big loose leaf binder with tabs I could name myself, and print out every page of the user manual.  Having a hard copy is a lot easier than flicking back and forth with one that's on screen. 

Now, while I'm not going to tell you the program can do everything the manual says it should, nevertheless what it can do it does well.

Stick with it, partner.  It gets better with time.  <sigh>