I Can't Get Sound Forge to Open After Successfully Registering It

Jim-Gillespie wrote on 3/31/2021, 4:51 PM

Hi,

For years I have been utilizing my Sound Forge 10 software successfully on my PC, which is running on Windows 10, and for some reason I'm now being asked to register the software again. So I did so and entered the serial number for my software, got the message that the registration went through successfully, and still, I can't get my Sound Forge program to open anymore.

Do you have any recommendations on how I can get the program to successfully open once again?

Thanks!

Jim

Comments

rraud wrote on 3/31/2021, 6:00 PM

Hi @Jim-Gillespie and welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users forum .

This is likely 'Elevated Privilege' issue which affects Sound Forge 10 after (some) Windows 10 updates.

If this is the case (and I think it is), there are two routes you can follow, One is a registry tweak, which may need to be done again at some point, but it works. If you do not want to fock with the registry, the other is easier and safer, but will add a "Run as Administrator" pop-up dialog each time SF is launched.
Right-click the Sound Forge 10 <.exe> launcher (or shortcut), choose Properties> select the 'Compatibility' tab, under 'Privilege level', check-mark "Run this program as an Administrator"

See this thread for the registry tweak instructions

Jim-Gillespie wrote on 4/1/2021, 10:59 AM

Thanks so much for that fix! I just did the Run as Administrator fix, and previously, years ago I did a REGEDIT fix that I was instructed to do, and it worked for years, but where do I find the x486 file that you mentioned to begin the more detailed fix? Thanks again. Jim

rraud wrote on 4/1/2021, 11:54 AM

where do I find the x486 file that you mentioned

Where did I mention "x486"? You likely mean (x86), the 'Program files' folder for 32 bit programs in Win 10. That is where the Sound Forge 10 root <.exe> file lives. The full path is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Sound Forge Pro 10.0\Forge100.exe"

However, setting SF-10 shortcuts to 'Run as Administrator' accomplishes the same thing.

I did a REGEDIT fix and it worked for years,

You are lucky @Jim-Gillespie . I have needed to do the registry tweak two or three times a year, the only good thing is, I no longer need a cheat sheet for registry path.

Jim-Gillespie wrote on 4/1/2021, 12:48 PM

Thanks for that information. I needed to utilize the Run as Administrator option for many years, and then for some reason I didn't need to utilize it anymore. But that instruction you sent me to officially check the box to run as administrator was something I didn't know about, and now, you're right, I can just go back to utilizing the Run as Administrator option once again....Thanks for your help! :)