How to use Scaler 2 midi out to control other VST in Samplitude

Don-P wrote on 8/28/2021, 11:56 AM

New to Samplitude so BIG learning curve. I have Samplitude Pro X5 on a windows 10 computer. Trying to use internal VSTs with midi as follows and can't figure out how to set up the channel send/receive for midi instructions to work.

I want to put Scaler 2 which is a chord/midi generator on track 1 and have Scaler send the midi out to any VST instrument on track 2 so that Scaler will control the VST and it's sound on track 2. I've checked a similar video online about doing this with a sequencer but that did not help me and the video was a decade old so I hope something has changed to make this possible and easier.

Can anyone tell me how to set up the channel midi selections for tracks 1 and 2 to route the midi correctly and then any other things I need to select to allow Samplitude to actually allow this communication to take place. I have been through the manual and it is quite confusing to me as I'm new so some of the manual assumes previous knowledge?!?!?

Thanks in advance as I really want to learn Samplitude vs something else.

Comments

SP. wrote on 8/28/2021, 2:42 PM

@Don-P I use Pro X4 but I think that the steps didn't change in newer versions. This is how it works:

1. Add Scaler as a VST Instrument to track 1.
  2. Add a VST instrument of your choice to track 2.
  3. Open the Scaler GUI and in the top left corner click on Plug-in > VST MIDI Out (when done a check mark is visible)
  4. Go to track 2 and make a right click on the record button in the track header (or alternatively on the record buttonin the track editor or mixer) and select VST-MIDI Out Recording in the pop up menu (when done a check mark is visible).
  5. Now all MIDI output from scaler is recognized by your VST on track 2.
  6. Remove both check marks after you're done

Don-P wrote on 8/28/2021, 3:09 PM

Thank you so much my friend. Your solution was brilliantly effective and that did indeed work on X5 just fine. I choose Samplitude over FL and others because of all the talk about it being the best object editor but not really having any experience with DAWs, this is a beast to try to learn from scratch. There are not alot of resources for tutorials. Any suggestions for ongoing learning?

Thank you so much for your help. It seems a little CPU intensive, but I'll try to figure that one out later. You are a life saver!!!

SP. wrote on 8/28/2021, 3:24 PM

@Don-P There is a Quickstart-Tutorial in the PDF manual with a lot of screenshots. But you can also watch the tutorial videos on Samplitude Music Studio which is a feature reduced version of Samplitude Pro X (but they work the same way).

https://www.magix.com/int/music/samplitude/samplitude-music-studio/tutorials/#c1426340

You can also ask any question you have in this forum or the professional Samplitude community at https://community.samplitude.com/ if you want to know something.

browj2 wrote on 8/28/2021, 10:57 PM

@Don-P

Hi,

I suggest that you join the Samplitude Forum as mentioned and start watching the hundreds of tutorials by Kraznet.

There should also be a Tutorial pdf file under Samplitude somewhere in Program files, I believe. I have one for Samplitude Pro X3.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Don-P wrote on 8/29/2021, 4:32 PM

Thanks so much again for the help and direction. I've signed up to the Samplitude forum, I did find the Kraznet videos on Youtube. Since I'm new to using a DAW, some of the terminology in the manual does not yet click but I'm getting there slowly!

browj2 wrote on 8/29/2021, 9:20 PM

@Don-P

Hi,

Since I'm new to using a DAW, some of the terminology in the manual does not yet click...

Some of the terminology? It was like Chinese to me and is getting closer to German, still not one of the languages that I speak. Good luck with the learning process; there is a lot. And thank you Kraznet.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos