How to save tracks as individually named and tagged audio files?

Shimager wrote on 10/18/2021, 4:45 PM

I have made a mastering edit with multiple tracks ready for CD. But now I want to export this first as individual high res files before proceeding with a cd, typically in 48kHz, 24 bit format and neatly named and tagged. Old Sound Forge 12 had the option to save each track in a file. In Sound Forge 15 I am missing that, but I imagine it should be very easy to do such (as I cannot imagine this simple action that existed before would not be default possible). Who can help me out where to find this function in Sound Forge 15? I already looked into Save As..., Render as... (gives me just one file), Export (most close but missing the track splitting, only goes to one single file)..., Batch converter .... Does anyone know how to export all my named tracks to individual audio files (flac)?

Comments

rraud wrote on 10/19/2021, 10:22 AM

Welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Shimager. Firstly, Read the 'Sticky' at the head for the main Sound Forge forum page.
Assuming you have Sound Forge Pro, create "Region" tags of the songs on the timeline..
Highlight the song or a segment on the timeline and click "Insert> Region" (or the 'R' key shortcut) and repeat for the subsequent songs or segments.
In the 'Tools' menu, select "Extract regions" . In that window you can select a folder and edit a prefix name. The extracted files will be in the (lossless) PCM format <.wav> .
I recall there is also a 'Save regions as files' script in SF Pro.
Otherwise, you can author a CD right in Sound Forge if that is your sole desire.

Shimager wrote on 10/19/2021, 3:22 PM

Hi @rraud, many thanks for your fast reply!. I will try to remember the sticky message next time indeed. It concerns Sound Forge Pro 15.0, build 64. (Then I guess the PC on which it runs is of minor interest with this question as the question is about the software, not how it runs and it runs very well though) ;-)

Indeed I did find the region option as well as the tracks option. And also the 'Extract regions', but that is indeed only .wav and no track numbering, so I was not looking for that...

So good you pointed the script option! I totally ignored to look there... And that comes way closer. Initially I could not set the file type, at least not from a menu after selecting the script... There we only get *.pca as export option. But when entering the script I found that we can make some edits in the script to, for example, change the file type and file name! In my case I was looking for flac (initially in original studio quality). This could be set as string

szType  = GETARG("type", ".flac");  

Then for my target with [track number]-[artist]-[track name] I got that available when changing below script line

string szName = String.Format("{0:d2}-{1}-({2}).{3}", mk.Ident, szBase, mk.Name, rend.Extension);   

into

string szName = String.Format("{0:d2}-{1}.{2}", mk.Ident, mk.Name, rend.Extension);

Now I got very close and have them all to flac with correct naming. I will do a similar script for mp3. Just strange that this does not have a default SoundForge HMI interface... Woukld be very productive to add such as default for all kinds of exports... Especially if that also has the tagging interface (I now still have to do that in another program dedicated for fast tagging).

Anyhow, again thanks for pointing in the right direction!

Best, Joep

rraud wrote on 10/19/2021, 5:32 PM

@Shimager, there used to be a specific forum for Sound Forge scripting, prior to Magix's acquisition, which may be of interest to you. You can access the forum's archive here:
https://forum-archive.magix.info/showtopics.asp?forumid=27

Shimager wrote on 10/20/2021, 4:32 PM

Ah, thanks for the link. I will check some topics. Would be great if such forum would be revived some way :-) All the best!

Walter.I wrote on 10/21/2021, 2:26 AM

@Shimager
Maybe you can get some instructions / ideas here - it's for Vegas Pro, but it's "alive" and it doesn't cost anything to look in.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ever-asked-how-do-i-write-scripts-in-vegas-here-s-your-answer--127310/

Last changed by Walter.I on 10/21/2021, 2:26 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

emmrecs wrote on 2/8/2023, 4:00 AM

@Mrleeon

Welcome to the Magix user to user forums.

Unfortunately, your first post is asking a different question to the one which the OP asked! This is considered to be hijacking of another user's (now rather old) thread. Please do not do this but rather start a new thread with your question. Your post here has been hidden.

One thing to mention: if you are asking about the Stem Maker facility, this has been permanently removed from Acid, sorry.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam