How to playback live audio file during recording of lyrics

QuietlyDope24 wrote on 9/1/2022, 5:12 AM

Rapper / aspiring R&B producer and need to be able to record during playback of working tracks - and not just mix them or cut and paste them separately. Essentially to freestyle rap you need to hear the BEAT live as you are recording.

I have Sound Forge newest edition and will also bring in verses as .MP3s, WAVs, etc. But want to maximize the recording capabilities of Sound Forge

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/1/2022, 6:05 AM

@QuietlyDope24 Sound Forge is not a DAW in which you can record multiple tracks into one project file.

rraud wrote on 9/1/2022, 9:29 AM

Sound Forge is a multi-channel editing/mastering application and is really not designed for 'overdubbing' (old school term for recording a new track whilst playing back previously recorded tracks)
A multi-track application (DAW) is suited for that task. Acid, Audition, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude and the free Audacty are multi-track options. Vegas Pro video also has a substantial multi-track DAW built in, which Sound Forge can be integrated to.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @QuietlyDope24.

QuietlyDope24 wrote on 9/1/2022, 11:53 AM

okay thank you so much for the basic info - I use Audacity frequently but want to expand my music making horizons and that is something to consider!

SP. wrote on 9/1/2022, 5:38 PM

@QuietlyDope24 But it looks like you also have Music Maker installed. Music Maker should be able to record your vocals fine while playing a beat. You can always export your tracks or songs from Music Maker as an audio file and then edit them in Sound Forge.