Comments

SP. wrote on 10/31/2023, 9:23 AM

@fared-mohamed 0 db is the loudest signal. Normalizing scales the loudest part of your recording to 0 db.

Quieter parts are going to negative values, for example -10 db, -20 db etc.

If you want to make the quieter parts louder you can use tools like a limiter or compressor.

fared-mohamed wrote on 10/31/2023, 9:33 AM

@fared-mohamed 0 db is the loudest signal. Normalizing scales the loudest part of your recording to 0 db.

Quieter parts are going to negative values, for example -10 db, -20 db etc.

If you want to make the quieter parts louder you can use tools like a limiter or compressor.

Thank you for your quick answer, can you tell me in a brief how to use limiter or compressor, as I said before, I have recorded a voice over sentence, it is hearable, but when I delivered it to the other person, he asked me to make it louder he sent me telling me to make it 65 to 70 db

rraud wrote on 10/31/2023, 1:11 PM

For maximizing narration and VO material, the free VST LoudMax limiter is popular for it's clean sound and easy to use two-parameter interface (threshold and output ceiling).
There are other peak limiters (aka, maximizers) for free and otherwise, Everyone has their personal favorite so try out as many as you can for the one that floats your boat

I use the legacy Direct X Wave Hammer (a two-stage compressor/limiter) a lot for music, However excessive amounts of maximizing with Wave Hammer can add distortion, so its use for VOs and such may be limited if a lot of maximizing is needed. It is often desirable for music though, The legacy Wave Hammer has the (sought after) vintage FET 1176 leveler sound.