How to do basic video editing in Magix

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/14/2024, 10:21 PM

I just upgraded to Magix from an old version of Vegas that kept crashing when rendering to Mp4.
I was comfortable in the old editing interface but I cannot even figure out how to pause split and edit in this new software, although I am glad that it was able to render my video from SF to MP4 easily with the export command.
HOW do I do editing existing pieces now?

Comments

Gid wrote on 6/14/2024, 11:08 PM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

Hi, pls note Magix Movie Studio is not an upgrade from Vegas & has never been, it is a completely different program, the correct upgrade would be to Vegas Pro. The interface is pretty much as you would know & recognise, there has also been many improvements since the old Vegas software https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-pro/

This is the Vegas Pro 21 interface.

But there are tutorials at the head of this forum for Magix, this is the link https://www.magix.info/us/tutorials/, if you get stuck or need assistance create a post & someone will be able to help you.

Last changed by Gid on 6/14/2024, 11:12 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Continuum & Sapphire, 
Silhouette Standalone + Plugin, 
Mocha Pro Standalone + Plugin, 
Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX
Desktop PC Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 3.5GHz 32 Core
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT 360mm All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
RAM 256GB ( 8x Micron 32GB (1x 32GB) 2666MHz DDR4 RAM )
2x Western Digital Black SN850 2TB M.2-2280 SSD, 7000MB/s Read, 5100MB/s Write
(programs on one, project files on the other)
Graphics MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU
ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Semi-Modular 80+ Platinum PSU 
Fractal Design Define 7 XL Dark TG Case with 3 Fans
Dell SE3223Q 31.5 Inch 4K UHD (3840x2160) Monitor, 60Hz, & an Acer 24" monitor.

At the moment my filming is done with a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G & a GoPro11

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

YouTube videos - https://www.youtube.com/c/Gidjoiner

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

johnebaker wrote on 6/15/2024, 1:33 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

Hi

To add to @Gid coment re tutroials, there is a Movie Studio (formerly Movie Edit Pro) ordered list of tutorials here for easy reference.

John EB
Forum Moderator

Last changed by johnebaker on 6/15/2024, 1:33 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

emmrecs wrote on 6/15/2024, 5:16 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

In addition to what @Gid and @johnebaker have asked, you selected Movie Edit Now as your product. Can you confirm exactly which Magix product you have, please?

I think your post suggests you actually now have Magix Movie Studio but is it actually Magix Movie Edit Now? If the latter, the advice is likely to be rather different!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/15/2024, 8:55 AM

I purchased Magix Movie Studio 2025 Suite, and I feel I am lost without a paddle or a rudder!!
I don't have a lot of time to get my editing done. Is there a simple interface within it that I can understand?

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/15/2024, 9:03 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

Hi, pls note Magix Movie Studio is not an upgrade from Vegas & has never been, it is a completely different program, the correct upgrade would be to Vegas Pro. The interface is pretty much as you would know & recognise, there has also been many improvements since the old Vegas software https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/gb/vegas-pro/

This is the Vegas Pro 21 interface.

But there are tutorials at the head of this forum for Magix, this is the link https://www.magix.info/us/tutorials/, if you get stuck or need assistance create a post & someone will be able to help you.

Thanks, I was misled, apparently. This is very sophisticated software. I need the BASICS.
I don't even know if I should get a refund and order the new Vegas if someone here can give me a basic tutorial showing how to pause split, cut, and rejoin segments from a VF Vegas file into my output export to MP4 file.
I need to work on this now so any help is welcome.

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/15/2024, 9:05 AM

Surely there are some basic editing tools in this Magix program! I just don't know the landscape. What looks like a pause button takes me back to the beginning of the VF segment I loaded in. How do I get into it to edit it?

Gid wrote on 6/15/2024, 9:16 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz Hi,

This is very sophisticated software. I need the BASICS

That can be a touchy topic on here, Vegas movie studio vs Magix Movie studio vs the modern Vegas Pro, I'm in the other camp & would say that the modern Vegas Pro is a lot more sophisticated than Magix. Magix is quite a basic program.

-----------------

In Magix Movie Studio (MMS) click Y on the keyboard, this window will pop up, turn this option on to stop the playback where the cursor is.

There's a few options for editing & cursor modes - Ripple (Mouse mode for single track/all tracks.) etc. at the top of the timeline

Keyboard shortcuts are -

• T - splits the clip where the cursor is.
  • U - trims the end of a clip from where the cursor is.
  • Z - trims the beginning of the clip from where the cursor is.
  • You can Right click to Find & close gaps

There's a few hidden extras but that is about it, what you see is what you get.

---------------------

If you're still unsure download the Trial of Vegas Pro from the link I posted earlier, If you are having problems rendering your MP4's in your old Vegas software & are using a newish phone I suspect your phone camera is set to record in HEVC, MP4 AVC (old compression technique) & MP4 HEVC (newer compression technique) are essentially the same, HEVC has been developed to work better with the bigger 4k videos that are created now & your old software prob isn't compatible.

Open your camera settings & turn off HEVC, your camera will then produce MP4 AVC which your old Vegas should be ok with. Or download the Trial of VP21 & try your yourself, it will def be ok with your HEVC files.

Yes I agree this is a slight of hand by Magix suggesting MMS is an upgrade from Vegas, it's not. 😡

Last changed by Gid on 6/15/2024, 9:44 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

I've been a Joiner/Carpenter for 40yrs, apprentice trained time served, I don't have an apprentice of my own so to share my knowledge I put videos on YouTube.

Lots of work photos on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/gid.joiner/photos_albums

Gid wrote on 6/15/2024, 9:39 AM

I purchased Magix Movie Studio 2025 Suite, and I feel I am lost without a paddle or a rudder!!
I don't have a lot of time to get my editing done. Is there a simple interface within it that I can understand?

@Lawrence-Schwartz At the end of the timeline there's this option

It will open your clips like this (only the top track) but I would think that was harder to work with. right click the scissors for trimming options

Magix Movie Studio 2025
Magix VPX14
Vegas Pro 21

Boris Optics,
NewBlue TotalFX

emmrecs wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:34 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

Thank you for confirming exactly which Magix product you now have! I have moved your post to the Movie Studio product area.

Your mention of VF Segment I think means you are attempting to open a project created in the older Vegas Movie Studio in your new Magix Movie Studio. Is that correct?

If so, please be aware that not ALL the features present in that older project file format can be directly transferred to the new, sorry. The current Movie Studio is a very different program to the old Vegas Movie Studio, as @Gid has said.

However, have you looked at the series of tutorials that @johnebaker linked to in his answer above? They may well be "more complex" than your current needs but will certainly at least "point you in the right direction".

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/15/2024, 10:49 AM

Yes, and I have been using Zoom session MP4s as my original source material before editing into VF segments in Vegas. This has not changed. I was satisfied with the conversion it did of my VF to MP4 but editing newer posts from longer videos still seems so different as to be quite difficult.

If the newer version of Vegas would be more familiar to me, do you know if I can try to get a refund and uninstall Magix, and try that instead?

I also have used it to edit camcorder MP4s from a Canon camcorder.

johnebaker wrote on 6/15/2024, 11:36 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz

Hi

You can download the trial version of Vegas Pro and test it to see if it fits your needs and is more familiar to you.

If you decide to purchase, then email infoservice@magix.net asking for a refund, and purchase Vegas Pro (VP).

There is no need to uninstall the VP trial version, use the serial number you receive on purchase of VP to activate the trial version and download any extras that become available.

Of course with VP you will have to join the Vegas Pro forum, link is at the bottom of this page.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

ericlnz wrote on 6/15/2024, 7:42 PM

@Lawrence-Schwartz Another, and possibly easier, alternative is to continue using what you are familiar with and solve your mp4 crashing problem. Did you ever seek help on the Vegas forum for a solution?

emmrecs wrote on 6/16/2024, 9:05 AM

@james22taylor

I have hidden your post in this thread because it is really asking a very different question to the one posed by the OP. Please do not hijack another user's thread in this manner but rather please create a new thread with your question.

When you do so please also include a MediaInfo analysis of one of your MOV files. If you're not sure how to do this please read and follow this tutorial and paste the results of the Text view into your post.

Thank you.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

james22taylor wrote on 6/16/2024, 9:57 AM

I am so sorry that I might have done something terribly wrong. This is my first time at using this forum system and I merely logged into it and clicked a few boxes until I encountered a page where I could type in my query and send it off. It is obvious to me now that the forum system is much more complex than I first thought and I have done something really stupid. It was not my intention to 'highjack' someone elses post and I am very sorry if I have offended anyone. I will try and do better next time when I repost my query.

Lawrence-Schwartz wrote on 6/17/2024, 10:16 AM

@Lawrence-Schwartz Another, and possibly easier, alternative is to continue using what you are familiar with and solve your mp4 crashing problem. Did you ever seek help on the Vegas forum for a solution?

YES. That makes sense to me. I do need info about obtaining a refund from Magix, however.
I saw something about tthat here yestereday but I don't see it now.