How to display full-phase waveform of audio track??

onium wrote on 6/14/2012, 3:57 PM

I am doing the trail of Video Pro X4 and now for some reason with this new software version, audio tracks are only displayed with half of the phase relationship. It is virtually impossible to synchronize two stacked audio waveforms by eye unless you can see the full-phase waveform as exists in older versions of the software and the current MEP. Can someone please tell me how to resolve this? Is it a hidden feature or an oversight by programmers? No the automatic synchronization is not working on my orchestral recordings and I can do it fast by eye anyway, so long as I can see the proper waveform.

Thank you, jeremy

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 6/15/2012, 5:26 AM

First, have you "separated" the graphic representation of the waveform from the video object, i.e are they on separate tracks?  (Shortcut Ctrl+H.)  And chosen to display the waveform?

If so, what you now see IS different to how it is presented in VPX3 or earlier, or MEP (including the MX versions.)  Essentially, what you now see is a graphical representation of the loudness of the audio WITHOUT the representation of the stereo balance (nothing whatever to do with phase, BTW.)

As someone who often needs to align tracks on multicam work by visually aligning the audio I admit, at first, I too was sceptical about this way of representing the audio; in practice I find it works at least as quickly as the "old way", sometimes more quickly.  The "larger" size of the waveform, together with the ability to adjust the vertical height of the individual track(s) and to be able to zoom in very far, makes visual alignment really quite easy.

So, to answer your question: no it is not a hidden feature (AFAIK) nor is it an oversight by the programmers.  Rather it is simply a different way of representing the same data.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/15/2012, 5:26 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emmrecs wrote on 6/22/2012, 2:41 PM

Hi Jeremy.

Sorry to be late replying, I've only just seen your updated message.

In VPX3 (and still the case in MEP MX) the graphical representation of the waveform is "built around" the centre-line.  That "line" represents (in theory) a sound level of "- infinity" (i.e. silence).  The further away from the centre line that the graphics "stretch", the "louder" is the signal (theoretically, again, at its "maximum" it represents a level of 0dBFS, the loudest digital signal before "clipping" (distortion) becomes audible); the part of the graphics below the centre-line represents the stereo-right channel, the part above, the stereo left channel.

In VPX4, the graphics represent the "total loudness" of the audio, without any reference to stereo-channel.  Thus the "bottom" of the "track" (no graphic visible) represents again "silence"; a graphic filling the whole track area (top to bottom) would represent, in theory, an 0dBFS signal.

I'm still not sure I understand why you would fine it "easier" to line-up audio tracks whose visible "displacement" from the centre-line is inevitably "smaller" than what is offered by the "new" method of display.

FWIW, I ​do​ agree that for DAW (pure audio-editing) work, the graphic representation of both​ channels is absolutely vital.  I've never used Sequoia or Samplitude (I run Adobe Audition for such work) but if this "new" method of display is imported to them I suspect there might be considerable "howls of protest" from audio editors!

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/25/2012, 1:40 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

emmrecs wrote on 6/29/2012, 11:27 AM

Jeremy, I don't know if you're still "watching" this thread but I've just discovered something rather "confusing"! 

Out of interest I chose to view the "Introductory Video" in VPX4.  My suspicion is that this may not have been updated since VPX3 but the interface shown is clearly that of VPX4.  Anyway, the point of this post is that the audio tracks shown in that video very obviously display the representation of the waveform the "old" way, with the Stereo Left and Right channels respectively above and below a centre-line.

As a result I'm wondering whether your initial question about "restoring" this feature might not be more possible than it first appeared!  I'm hoping Ralf (MAGIX Support) might see this thread and offer a comment.  (A quick search through various Program Settings showed nothing that might make this achievable but who knows?)

Jeff

UPDATE:  There is a setting, in Program Settings>Video/Audio>Arranger, untick "Half Waveform Display".  The "old" method has returned!

Jeremy, thanks for posing the original question.  At the very least it's made me look more deeply into the available settings.

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/29/2012, 11:39 AM, changed a total of 2 times.