How do you make an instrument "quiver"?

orion-diaram wrote on 4/14/2018, 2:07 AM

There are so many things that aren't clear in the user manual and this is one of them.
Hello by the way. :)
To give an instrument more of a natural feel, I want to be able to make an instrument, or 2, "quiver", though I think it's called Vibrato. I also want to control how much an instrument quivers at specific points within a song.
I've been playing around with the filters, but to the life of me, I can't get it to work.
Please help me ...

My computer specs are:-

Processor: AMD(tm)-4350 Quad-Core Processor 4GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 32 GB
Windows 7 (64 bit)
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Software: Music Maker Version 25.1.2.78

Comments

robertNC wrote on 4/14/2018, 3:44 PM

Hi generally you're applying modulation via a midi command, which uses an oscillator to modulate pitch, so the vibrato will be a sine wave, or sawtooth wave, or square wave, based on the type of oscillator that's running applying the modulation. Anyway,i f you hook up a keyboard, then the mod wheel will usually be set up to produce vibrato. Otherwise, you can apply it on a MIDI 'piano roll'. I'm not sure if Music Maker has a MIDI piano roll , or a virtual keyboard or not, but software synths often have the modulation function within them. If Music Maker has a virtual keyboard, then putting up the mod wheel on it might create vibrato. I'm not sure though

browj2 wrote on 4/15/2018, 1:20 PM

@orion-diaram

Hi,

I'm not sure but you may also want to try tremolo.

There are 3 Magix VST instruments that I know of that have tremolo, String Ensemble, Analog synths, and Cinematic synth.

If you have the Premium version of MM, then you have some of the eFX_essential effects. On a track, try adding eFX_ChorusFlanger. Play with the Phase and Rate knobs. Also read what it says in the associated help file. There are also some vibrato presets and you can try them and then tweak the knobs.

You can also purchase the additional eFX_essential that contains eFX_Tremolo and try that.

And, take a look at Melda plugins. There is a tremolo effect with the free bundle.

Which instrument are you trying to get this effect on?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Mordochai wrote on 4/15/2018, 2:02 PM

Our projects dissapered. What do we do?

johnebaker wrote on 4/15/2018, 3:47 PM

@Mordochai

Hi and welcome to the forum

A few tips on posting in the forum:-

It is bad forum etiquette to hijack another members topic with an unrelated question, create a new topic with your question and add the relevant information from below.

Please read this topic and put the following information in your profile signature so we do not have to ask for it: 

• Computer specification - processor make/model, graphics card or chipset make/model, audio card or chipset make/model, RAM,  hard drive configuration and sizes?
  • Windows version and is it up to date?  Press and hold down the Windows key and the R key - in the dialog that opens type in winver and press enter.
  • Software full name and version number - as found under Help, About . . .

Also when posting please include the following where applicable:

• Audio and/or video file formats being imported
  • Export format and settings used
  • MediaInfo data on audio or video - see below

If you have issues with importing audio or video please use MediaInfo to analyse a problem clip and post the results from the Tree view in MediaInfo

Also add any other information you think may be relevant.

If you want to post examples of your work with a Magix program  there is a separate section of the forum - click the Media option at the top of the page.

The Community rules are to be found using the link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks

John EB  

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

orion-diaram wrote on 4/16/2018, 3:48 AM

Thanks for the response guys!!

I'm only using the free version of MM at the moment, before going ahead with getting the plus version. Money's tight.
I'm practicing on the free instruments you get, using the long lasting instrument to find that modulation I'm looking to get. I've yet to get a midi keyboard, but all going well, then I'll invest in one.

Last changed by emmrecs on 4/16/2018, 3:57 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Reason: Correct formatting

Windows 7 (64 bit)

robertNC wrote on 4/16/2018, 11:15 PM

@orion-diaram That's great - yeah - just play around with MM and get more acclimated to musicmaking. I wish I went that route. You can search/check out vst4free for more instruments; I'm not sure if MM loads VST instruments or plugins, but there should be something that has tremolo and other effects. Vita 2 and Revolta 2 are great synths on their own, however

orion-diaram wrote on 4/19/2018, 1:05 AM

I hope we're all ok, and having fun!!

That's another thing I need to learn about robertNC . vst's are a completely new thing to me, and I really don't know where to start with that. When I purchase the plus edition on Friday, I'll get to choose the plugins I want.
You know what? I have no idea. ANY help with that would be HUGE!!
I might even contact support to make sure I get what I need.

Windows 7 (64 bit)