Comments

SP. wrote on 9/17/2021, 2:08 PM

@VINCENTOMONDI-OBUMBA This is not possible in Music Maker. You need Samplitude for this.

grymmjack wrote on 9/22/2021, 11:15 AM

@VINCENTOMONDI-OBUMBA This is not possible in Music Maker. You need Samplitude for this.

Is music maker a cut down samplitude? Is there a product comparison between them somewhere?

SP. wrote on 9/22/2021, 11:31 AM

@grymmjack Yes, it kind of is a really cut down version of Samplitude. You can try the free Samplitude Pro X4 Silver http://dl-de01.magix.net//2019/SamplitudeProX4Silver/Program/SamProX4_Silver_INT_200121_07-59.exe (which is limited to 8 tracks) or just download the demo version of Samplitude Music Studio 2022 or Samplitude Pro X6.

Music Maker is a software for people who want to begin with music making and getting results fast without going into much detail. If you want to do more than placing premade loops and adding simple MIDI-tracks then it will become tedious or impossible to do this in Music Maker.

grymmjack wrote on 9/22/2021, 11:55 AM

@grymmjack Yes, it kind of is a really cut down version of Samplitude. You can try the free Samplitude Pro X4 Silver http://dl-de01.magix.net//2019/SamplitudeProX4Silver/Program/SamProX4_Silver_INT_200121_07-59.exe (which is limited to 8 tracks) or just download the demo version of Samplitude Music Studio 2022 or Samplitude Pro X6.

Music Maker is a software for people who want to begin with music making and getting results fast without going into much detail. If you want to do more than placing premade loops and adding simple MIDI-tracks then it will become tedious or impossible to do this in Music Maker.

Got it.

So I took the plunge on Music Maker to see what the most recent version was like for exactly that reason.

The explanation you gave makes sense. It seems like quite a lot of corners are cut in the program, and the focus isn't on making music but making money. There is a "store" in the DAW.

When I dug further into this I noted that the stuff you are "buying" is not even royalty free for commercial use, and additional fees are required for that. So exactly who is the target market for this? I'm not sure. But it's probably not me. So far the experience feels like snake oil. I'm missing things in here that were in my older versions of the software from way back...

Where is that old drum machine at? That was cool.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the cheapest software could do and I kept getting the marketing in email and remembered oh yeah, that was actually a pretty good starter kit.

I myself am an experienced DAW user and own Ableton, Bitwig, Renoise, etc.

The reason I got this was to see if there was a bridge to using full on DAW for my daughter, among other things. But also, I am a YouTube audio nerd and thought maybe I could make some videos featuring this software; which I could then just share with my daughter and therefore give her a passive way to learn in her own time.

I think expecting a 7th grader to learn Ableton or Bitwig is unreasonable. My daughter is smart, no question about that, but the barrier of entry is a bit steep for those.

Thanks for your help SP.

Graham-Hawker wrote on 9/22/2021, 3:05 PM

The explanation you gave makes sense. It seems like quite a lot of corners are cut in the program, and the focus isn't on making music but making money. There is a "store" in the DAW.

So exactly who is the target market for this?

I don't think corners have been cut. It's more that the corners were never there. In the old days there were two programs aimed at beginners to allow them to throw some loops together to make a track. Music Maker and Ejay. Ejay was the leader but failed. Music Maker kept going and added additional basic DAW functionality. The target market is really beginner teenagers. It's quick easy and there's instant gratification and you can let the program do it even if it lacks any artistic merit. However some people like me like having a simple DAW for midi tracks without any complexity to get in the way. And if people get beyong Song Maker and just throwing some loops together then that's a good thing. The cut down version of Samplitude is Samplitude Music Studio.