how do i use my korg m50 as a midi controller through music maker 16?

a9mmprophet wrote on 7/20/2011, 11:29 AM

ok, not going to lie, im a noob to all this. been many years since ive been into making music and technology has come a long way. i have a korg m50 and i have it connected through a usb cord from the workstation to my laptop where i have music maker 16 on. i dont see anything like my old music maker as far as the drum machine or synthesizer or any of the software provided work areas in music maker 16. only soundpools seem to be available. i need to know how to access the sounds i have on music maker as i have purchased quite alot of soundpools and control them through my korg m50 and also how to record them once i am able to select and play them. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Comments

bodazaffa111 wrote on 8/1/2011, 5:44 PM

If you do not have one you are going to need a USB cable for 1/4" musician cables.

It is wise that you spend the money now (Like $50 - $100) and get a good one.

Once you have this device - you need a short 1/4" cable and maybe an adapter

that reduces the 1/4" down to 1/8th" you really need to look good at your keyboard

and figure out what you will need. You then simply plug the cable into the USB port

and then the cable from the "Headphones" out on the keyboard.

Now I haven't tried this method but you may also get it to work by without the USB device

by plugging in a cable from the headphones out directly into your PC's Microphone "In" slot.

BODA

Procyon wrote on 8/3/2011, 10:03 PM

bodazaffa111 - It is inappropriate to provide such poor information.  A headphone jack is NOT an appropriate output and a microphone jack is NOT an appropriate input for any such purpose.  Bad advice is no better than no advice.

I asked a9mmprophet to clarify his questions over two weeks ago, and he has not replied.  He is apparently not truly interested in cooperating or getting answers to his questions.

bodazaffa111 wrote on 8/5/2011, 4:39 AM

To Procryon, and the poor people trying to make stuff work like this guy.....

Do you even have any clue what you are talking about? You want to put me out like I give bad advice?

What was that quote on your profile? "I use to have an open mind, but it closes pretty quickly these days."? LOL Sorry Procryon, but you are a little out dated, let me guess - you are a diehard Xp Pro user? with a wopping 1.8ghz processor and a huge 1mb of Ram! Sir may I say you have way way too much time on your hands..... You see your relic should be used for one thing, a boat anchor!

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO KNOW - READ ON - THIS CAN AND IS BEING DONE, I PLAY MINE THIS WAY DAILY.

Despite what this bad advice character procryon says or believes I use my synth every day this very same way because these mic inputs are actually "LINE IN'S" but only people with real hardware know these things.
As I said before and will say again, "YOU CAN" take a 1/8" male to male cable and plug one end into the "AUDIO OUT/HEADPHONE" (You may need a 1/4" adapter) port on your synthesizer and then run the other end into "YOUR PC LINE IN OR MICROPHONE" port and play your synth or keyboards directly through your PC, Sound results may vary.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
http://www.ehow.com/how_5082686_connect-musical-keyboard-computer.html
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Stereo - Based Computer Connection
Boot up your computer.
Plug a 1/8-inch female to 1/4-inch male adapter (see Resources) into the 1/4-inch output jack on your keyboard. The output jack is sometimes labeled "Headphones" rather than "Output."
Plug a 1/8-inch audio cable into the 1/8-inch end of the adapter from Step 1.
Insert the other end of the 1/8-inch audio cable into the 1/8-inch microphone jack on your computer. Your keyboard is now fully connected to the computer.
Turn on your keyboard and start up a recording program, such as Windows Sound Recorder or SourceForget.net's free Audacity program, to begin recording keyboard music directly onto your computer.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'''''''''''''''''
http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq9.htm
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
How do I connect my computer to an external MIDI synthesizer?

There are a few different ways you can connect your external MIDI synth or module. These days, you will probably use either a USB interface or the Joystick port on your sound card.

USB: There are many MIDI interfaces available that connect to this port on your computer. MIDI In and Out cables connect from the interface to your synth, and you may have to purchase the cables separately.

Sound card (Joystick port): The joystick port (game port) on your sound card has a built-in MIDI interface. The cable that connects to the joystick port is commonly called a Universal MIDI Sound Card Connector. Some sound cards have MIDI in and out ports so you don't need to use the joystick port. In either case, MIDI cables connect to your synth's MIDI In and Out.

MPU-401 or other internal MIDI Interface: An interface (computer card) with MIDI In(s) and MIDI Out(s). This is a small interface card that plugs into a slot inside your computer. MIDI cables are still required to connect to your external module.

Serial or Printer: There are various MIDI interfaces that can connect from these types of existing computer data ports, although the USB port is used much more frequently these days.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

For those who are skeptics, like Procryon, copy and paste the links for validation, I could have copied many more for you - I figure 2 is plenty so not to disrespect this site using resources.

BTW - Procryon, thanks for making my introduction to this site kind and warm, when all I wanted to do is to just simply offer some help to people, you know - kind of like what got you to the "GOLD" status - LOL - get out of your trailer more often there's a whole other world out side! No No, now the better part of me believes I am being mean or cruel, sorry Procryon, I just seem to get a little defensive when attacked. Instead -

I believe you should have said - BODAZAFFA111 - Do you have any proof that this really works, if so can you offer some specs? Instead of " I am God and this is my domain. " One more thing folks not only does it work - it works in MM17 Premium.

Thanks again "PROCRYON"!

BODA

Procyon wrote on 8/5/2011, 9:57 AM

Boda,

You make far too many ASSUMPTIONS, and you mistakenly believe you are right about too many things.  You also leave out very important details.

Not only are you quoting me out of context, but you're deliberately misquoting yourself to try and make it sound like you were right in the first place.

Sorry, but I stick by my assertions.  Nothing you've said here proves otherwise.  Finding one internet article that tells you to do it that way, does NOT make it correct, especially when the context of the question was regarding the Korg M-50.  Plus we have NO details about his laptop.  But, thanks for the links anyway.

At no point did I "attack you", and at no point did I ever claim to be "God".  You have no idea of the extent, or lack of, my knowledge, so it is inappropriate for you to comment on it.

If you have a bone to pick with someone, the forum is not the appropriate place.  That is best done with a private message.  And, even then, you need to be civil.

Procyon wrote on 8/10/2011, 4:58 PM

Community rules

Please note the following community rules developed for magix.info – the Multimedia Knowledge Community:

1. Friendliness

Insults, coarse language, and harassment of any kind toward other community members is forbidden. Respect the opinions and views of other members. Avoid provocations and remain objective.

2. Ask meaningful and friendly questions

Write as exactly as possible. No one else can see what you're doing at your PC and what's happening.
    Ask a question! This increases the chance of being clicked on. Most importantly your contribution explains what the matter is. The editors and moderators reserve the right to edit questions for the sake of objectivity and relevance.
    magix.info is a free service for your questions and discussions regarding multimedia knowledge. It is not a replacement for support and not an official support site! In this case it can occur that you might not receive the help you were looking for from surfing MAGIX experts. Maybe no one knew the answer or the question was never clicked on. Try again and experiment with another question title, and maybe a different formulation for the question.
    The editors and moderators give assistance in using of magix.info, they oversee and mediate, the editors and moderators are not officially from MAGIX Support. If you are certain that you want to reach MAGIX Support, then please visit http://support.magix.net
    For help questions about your MAGIX software or about Online Services that you post on magix.info or on the support pages and magix.info, please mention the details about what you are working with, i.e. computer hardware, operating system, software and its version number.

Always keep in mind: If you're looking for answers, then ask nicely. This way you're most likely to get nice answers!

3. Legible contributions

Contributions should always be written in such a manner that other users can understand them without having any difficulties. This includes a meaningful title, a readable written form (including punctuation!), as well as understandable language. Code, unconventional abbreviations, dialects, or languages foreign to the forum should be avoided as much as possible. In order to guarantee this, everyone should thoroughly reread their posts before publishing them to ensure that they are understandable and readable!

Note: The editors and moderators reserve the right to edit content, sort topics, avoid provocations, and formulate questions more precisely.

-------------------------------------

You're going to hurl all kinds of insults at me (after posting just before you go on vacation for three weeks), and now you expect me to help you?  Good luck with that.

a9mmprophet wrote on 10/6/2011, 10:17 AM

Got the Problem fixed, needed to download asio4all for the Latency issue. Needed to finish the downloads for the instruments to be available under instrument section in midi editor, somehow i missed that install. Thanks both of you for your time.