How do i transfer my website via Smart FTP?

erin-glover wrote on 11/14/2007, 11:39 AM
I all ready have my domian and hosting from another place. I have asked them what i can do to transfer the website over to where it is being hosted, and they told me to use Smart FTP client. The problem is that the finished product from Magix comes up as html, and i cannot save it to a file. The only way to upload and download in smart ftp is through files i have saved. I tried to copy and paste it somewhere, but that dosent work. the people from customer service at the other place seem to be at a dead end, and i dont really know what im doing... any ideas?

Comments

Lazerboy wrote on 11/15/2007, 5:50 AM
Hi,

you will not succeed via FTP as you cannot download the Magix website. You have done it online and it is stored online. I have not tried it, but there should be a way: You can export the complete Magix website via html code (Magix Menu left top, export website). Of course it depends on this other service but this is how I exported my complete side to myspace.com. It means that the content is still stored at Magix, but that you see any change directly also on the external service. That should work!

Of course you can also redirect your domain to the Magix site....
shelley1 wrote on 11/19/2007, 10:37 AM
Your Website Maker site will always be hosted on the MAGIX server, but you could create a link to the other host. To do this you can export the link to the MAGIX site and then embed this into your existing site.

To do this:

1. Click "Menu"
2. "Export website"
3. Copy the HTML text.
4. Paste this into the index page on your other website.
5. Save and upload this page.
6. Finished.

NOTE: This will mean that you are having to pay for two services. Perhaps you could link the site until your domain name contract runs out and then investigate whether it would not be cheaper transferring the domain to MAGIX. Or, at least making sure you have the smallest possible package with the other provider, as all you need there is enough space for a simple link.