How Do I Import Effects Chains? (.sfg files)

Phalen wrote on 6/18/2023, 6:18 AM

Hi everyone. I'm using ACID Pro 10 and I'm trying to copy effects preset chains from an old PC to my new ones (Windows 10 PC and Windows 11 laptop), but I can't seem to figure out how to make ACID recognize the files (the .sfg files). I put them in the same folder where new chains are being saved, but they don't show up in the program. Is there some sort of process step I'm missing?

Comments

SP. wrote on 6/18/2023, 3:23 PM

@Phalen You're likely still missing additional information in the Windows registry.

I found this old tool from 2009 on archive.org that lets you manage presets for Sound Forge and Acid, but I don't know if this will even run on modern Windows. I haven't tested it yet.

Preset Manager 2.0k Build 114 info https://web.archive.org/web/20150209065845/http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dl/dl.aspx?dwnid=115

Download Link https://web.archive.org/web/20150403020327/http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/current/extras/presetmngr20k.exe

The only other option is to do it manually by editing the Windows registry.

SP. wrote on 6/18/2023, 3:29 PM

Some additional information on how to do it manually. Be aware, that the registry structure changed between Windows XP and Windows 10/11.

SF users may have encountered the problem of the presets inaccessibility after the program reinstallation. Well, there's a solution to this bummer

The thing is that SF presets references are being written into the Windows registry, therefore in order to reinstate them back into the SF plugins presets listings (provided the said plugins are installed as well) it's necessary to recreate the erased registry keys. I was baffled with this problem myself, did some research which was given an ampetus by this article in Sony's knowledgebase at http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/sonyp ... _faqid=267
And here's the procedure to follow in order to reclaim all your custom presets

the description is based on Windows XP and SoundForge 7.0

far as I could categorize, there're 3 types of SF plugins presets, (not by their format, the extension that is, but by their location), namely

1. plugins presets, which files are stored at
C:\Documents and Settings\(user account name)\Application Data\Sony\Sound Forge\7.0\Presets

(instead of drive C there can be drive with any other letter, which is your system drive)

at this location 2 types of folders reside:

a) those named as
\{A0D5CC41-2931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59}

b) those named after the actual plugin, which preset files are stored in it, such as
\Envelope

AND

2. plugins presets, which files are stored in the SF program folder at the location such as
C:\Program Files\Sound Forge 7.0\Presets\FX Packages

(instead of drive C there can be drive with any other letter, on which SF is installed)

one of plugins which presets are stored at this location is Plugin-chainer

c) the folders containing these plugins preset files bear names similar to the names of type 1a presets folders, for example
\{14B7FC6E-CE4B-4694-B3AC-57BCC6944E13}

all this info is important for the ability to restore the preset files paths inside the registry keys

the name of a registry key is always identical to the name of the folder where preset files of any given plugin are stored

the registry keys of the first two types of presets are situated in different locations within the registry:

registry keys of 1a type of presets are located in hive
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DirectShow\Presets

their name is identical to the name of the key of a plugin which these presets belong to, i.e. in the case of a presets folder named
\{A0D5CC41-931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59}
besides the presets registry key, this name will also bear the key of the actual DirectX plugin in the hive
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sony Media Software\Sound Forge\7.0\DXCache

registry keys of 1b type of presets are located in hive
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Media Software\Sound Forge\7.0\Presets

registry keys of 2c type of presets are located in hive
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DirectShow\Presets\FX Packages

in order to reinstate the presets of the first two types through registry modification, the following should be undertaken

1. go to Start -> Run and launch Registry editor with regedit command

2. go to the one of the aforemetioned hives, according to the type of preset location, highlight it, right click and select New -> Key from the menu to create a new registry key, assign it the name of the presets folder

(if after SF reinstallation you have created new presets for some of the plugins, the relevant registry keys will be already in place, you will only have to populate them with new String Values, correspondent to the presets bound for restoration)

thus, for example, for the folder at the path
C:\Documents and Settings\(user account name)\Application Data\Sony\Sound Forge\7.0\Presets\{A0D5CC41-2931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59}

the name of the registry key will look as {A0D5CC41-2931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59} , and its full address will look as
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DirectShow\Presets\{A0D5CC41-2931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59}

3. having created the new regisrty key, highlight it, right click and select New -> String Value from the menu
an entry New Value #1 will appear

4. highlight this new entry, right click and select Modify from the menu or just hit Enter and paste the full path of the preset file into the Value Data field, for example
C:\Documents and Settings\(user account name)\Application Data\Sony\Sound Forge\7.0\Presets\{A0D5CC41-2931-11D5-B569-00A0CC743A59}\preset.dxp

5. confirm the modification by pressing OK,
full path to the preset file will appear in the Data column against New Value #1 entry

6. highlight this entry, right click and select Rename or just hit F2, assign it the name of the preset file without the extension, i.e. preset and hit Enter

first two steps of the procedure are true for the presets of 2c type as well, now

3. create two new String Values

4. highlight New Value #1 entry, right click and select Rename or simply hit F2, change its name to Name and hit Enter

5. highlight the freshly renamed Name entry, right click and select Modify or simply hit Enter and into the Value Data field key in the name of the preset without the extension, for example preset

6. confirm by clicking OK, the name of the preset will appear in the Data column against the Name entry

7. repeat step 4 for the New Value #2 entry and name it Stream

8. repeat step 5 for the Stream entry and key in the path of the preset file, for example
C:\Program Files\Sound Forge 7.0\Presets\FX Packages\{14B7FC6E-CE4B-4694-B3AC-57BCC6944E13}\preset.sfg

9. repeat step 6 and the preset file path will appear in the Data column against the Stream entry

Disclaimer:

Modification of Windows registry may disrupt the finctionality of your operating system. I waive any responsibility direct or implicit for the damage of your operating system caused by execution of the abovementioned procedure. Please perform it at your own risk or do not perform at all

however with head on the shoulders and hands growing out of the shoulders it's imposible to fucc the registry up

now, having restored all the presets to their respective legit places, install
Preset Manager from http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/dl/ ... ?dwnid=115 create the presets backup file, update it every now and then and don't endure the pain in the ass of presets restoration ever again.

good luck

END

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=284462

Phalen wrote on 6/27/2023, 7:43 AM

Hey! Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for that info and the link to the old preset manager. It never occurred to me use archive.org to find old software.

So the preset manager did work with the old laptop (a 2010-era laptop running Windows 7) but I still couldn't make it all work on the new machines. No worries though, now I can just "brute force" the effects chains with some screenshots and a little time. I'll just do it all manually. I'll probably come up with some new ideas in the process.

Thanks again! I really love Acid. I've been using it as my main DAW since the early 2000s. I'm glad it's still around.