How can I open my CD Architect (.cdp) projects in Sound Forge?

Doug-Herbst wrote on 9/23/2023, 2:02 PM

I have dozens of CD Architect projects that were created under Windows 7. Now that Magix has dropped CD Architect, I loaded a trial version of Sound Forge Pro 17 assuming that CD Architect 5.2 capabilities are included. However, I could not see how to load a .cdp file into Sound Forge. If I have to abandon all of my CD Architect projects, I will not purchase Sound Forge and will stay on CD Architect 5.2 and Windows 7 forever. I am disappointed and frustrated that I cannot reach Magix customer support directly and instead have to post to a forum where it may be ignored forever or lead to a dead end, like so many other forum threads.

Comments

SP. wrote on 9/23/2023, 2:19 PM

@Doug-Herbst You can easily contact support directly.

Simply contact customer support at infoservice@magix.net or create a ticket for technical support.

rraud wrote on 9/23/2023, 5:38 PM

AFAIK. CD Arc is needed to open the <.cdp> authoring files. But you can contact Magix support for a definitive answer. As you are probably aware, <.cdp> files do not contain (embedded) audio.
I always used ImgBurn to make back-ups of important audio CDs and DVDs.
I always preferred CD Arc to author CDs despite the fact it did not support VST plug-ins.

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @Doug-Herbst.

Doug-Herbst wrote on 9/23/2023, 6:14 PM

Thanks. I already have CD Arc and use it often. I am currently working on a CD project of original compositions. I realize that the .cdp files are small and require all wave files in the timeline to exist somewhere on the computer. No problem with that. But I have read that CD Arc users have difficulty burning CDs with 5.2 running under Windows 10. I've opened a ticket with Magix support. I realize that CDs are becoming more and more obsolete these days, but there are size limitations in trying to share a 79-minute program with friends, and I still enjoy packaging them with labels and jewel boxes. I'm afraid that if I upgrade to Windows 10, all of by CD Arc projects will be rendered useless.

rraud wrote on 9/24/2023, 10:46 AM

I have read that CD Arc users have difficulty burning CDs with 5.2 running under Windows 10.

Yes, that has been reported a few times, I am not sure it is common to every Win10/CD Arc user or just on specific systems. My Win 10 PC (laptop) does not have an optical drive, nor do I have an external burner to check it out.
CD Arc is not supported but email Magix for their comments infoservice@magix.net and report back please.