High CPU Usage.. starts lagging when using effects

worldstarhiphop23 wrote on 6/17/2012, 4:29 AM

I have windows 7 64 bit laptop

Intel Core i7 3920XM CPU @ 2.90 GHZ (4C 8T 3.59 ghz/ 3.8Ghz Turbo,3.6ghz IMC, 4x 256kb, L2 8MB L3)
32 GB Of DDR3 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (3 GB Ram)

Harddive is a Crucial M4 512 GB, Sata600 SSD

Everytime i add in one of the Magic Bullet Quick Looks effects. on a video. CPU goes very high 95 percent to 100 percent.. and the program starts to lagg. hen i press play on it.. skipping. 

The video is HD Video is 1920 x 1080

Thought this new laptop would be able to handle it. Anything to do to fix this?

Comments

genelythgow wrote on 7/1/2012, 7:57 PM

HD videos can pose some problems due to their file size unless you have a really high performance machine and a great graphics card.  What kind of graphics card do you have?  But most importantly: Are you storing your videos externally or on your computer's hard drive?  That right there will screw up everything with HD: you need to have a RAID external hard drive to store your videos on or at least a decent Seagate or Western Digital 1-2 TB external storage device.   When you save your VPX "project", save it TO a folder in the external RAID/ Western Digital or Seagate hard drive.  If you don't do this, it will eat up your computers ability to perform completely.  Magic Bullet quicklooks is not a heavy program like the full version: your computer should be able to handle it and VX3/4 handles it with immediate rendering and without crazy GPU usage.  However, even if your GPU usage is extremely high, say, in the 90-100% range, its fine.  HD will do that and it doesn't hurt your computer.  Also, make sure your computer settings are for optimal performace when editing.  And make sure you don't have any background programs running either or other tabs open when you're editing.  

Also, go to your PLAYBACK options menu in VPX and make sure your playback mode is set to 1/2 resolution, not full resolution.  That will help a lot.  You can even set it lower if you'd like.   Basically, you have to optimize your computers performance to allow VPX to operate properly as with any professional NLE software and keep large files (all HD) off of your computers hard drive (export it to the external device).  Hope this helps.  Peace.  -Gene