HD playback choppy no matter what!

Tenacious wrote on 1/26/2013, 1:55 PM

Now, before you say this question has been asked many times and to check  their topics for answers....I have already, it doesn't answer my query, and most of the links posted have now been deleted which is no help whatsoever.

I have VIDEO PRO X4, this is an expensive software program and so I expevt it to perform top level!

HD footage does not playback smoothly when effects are added, but also....it doesn't playback smoothly when it is simply edited and cut. The more this is done, the mpore it seems to clog up!

My spec:

Windows XP OS

ASUS P8B75-M LX INTEL IVY
BRIDGE QUAD CORE i5 3570K 8GB 1600MHz
MOTHERBOARD

2TB Hard Drive + 500GB Hard drive

As you can see my spec should more than be able to handle this. Which can only mean tht the prgram is not handling it? But this is totally unacceptable for a program which claims to be for professional us and costs a lot of money. 

It is not good enough to have to put up with this and find support if this product claims it is a HD editing system? Either it can handle it or it can't.

Please respond with your solution please.

Martin

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 1/26/2013, 3:50 PM

Hi Martin

First this is a user forum not Magix support.

Unless the Windows XP is the 64 bit version, then you are using less than half of the installed memory you have available.  

This alone will cause the majority of your problems.  In which case you need to upgrade to at least Windows 7 64 bit.

Are you using the on-board video graphics or a PCI-E graphics card ?

What anti-virus / spyware software do you have running?

Is the second hard drive internal or USB - if USB is it USB 2 or 3 ?

Is the software on your system drive and all the video files etc on the second hard drive?

Do all the folder paths in program settings point to the stystem drive or the second hard drive?

What is the source and the format of the HD video - if mp4 or mov we need to know what the video codecs are as the formats are only container files.

I have a lower spec quad core computer and running VPX with HD H.264 video and have some jerky playback on complex transitions or multitrack portions, of video ie more than 2 tracks), but where there are no edits or just cuts the playback is smooth..

You can alleviate some of the problems using the Preview rendering on complex transitions - see page 269 in the manual.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/27/2013, 12:01 PM, changed a total of 5 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Tenacious wrote on 2/4/2013, 5:16 PM

Hi Martin

First this is a user forum not Magix support.

Unless the Windows XP is the 64 bit version, then you are using less than half of the installed memory you have available.  

This alone will cause the majority of your problems.  In which case you need to upgrade to at least Windows 7 64 bit.

Are you using the on-board video graphics or a PCI-E graphics card ?

What anti-virus / spyware software do you have running?

Is the second hard drive internal or USB - if USB is it USB 2 or 3 ?

Is the software on your system drive and all the video files etc on the second hard drive?

Do all the folder paths in program settings point to the stystem drive or the second hard drive?

What is the source and the format of the HD video - if mp4 or mov we need to know what the video codecs are as the formats are only container files.

I have a lower spec quad core computer and running VPX with HD H.264 video and have some jerky playback on complex transitions or multitrack portions, of video ie more than 2 tracks), but where there are no edits or just cuts the playback is smooth..

You can alleviate some of the problems using the Preview rendering on complex transitions - see page 269 in the manual.

HTH

John

Hi John,

Sorry for my late response. I have been trying things out.

I will answer all your questions in turn....

- I was running XP 32bit, I have now installed Vista 64bit (not my preference, but the only OS I had available for now).

- I have a PCI nVidia GeForce GT220 Graphics card.

- I have Virgin Media internet security

- Second hard drive is internal

- Software is installed on my user OS hard drive, folders and files on the second (larger) hard drive.

- The HD format is .MOV

....After installing and running Vista 64bit, it did show some improvement with the handling and applying of effects. However, I have since been editing a very low quality .WMV movie clip which was captured from a VCR video player. This footage plays ok until I start to alter sharpness, contrast etc, let alone using plugin effects from the likes of Newblue, Red Giant and ProDad Vitascene....it's quite painful to operate and I have no idea why such a low resolution piece of footage is ausing so much problem. It would appear it isn;t necessarily the HD thing, but editing in general with this program?

Having said this, I am sceptical about Vista as it does not 'flow' well, and my mouse even appears to drag behind at times.

Thanks

Martin

jersey002 wrote on 3/3/2013, 8:42 AM

I am having the same exact problem with my computer and I have the pro 2013.  No one elses editor skips who have other types of editors but this one every HD video skips constantly even in an easy edit makes no sense.