Comments

sheppo wrote on 4/13/2022, 3:43 PM

hi @Brackets

not a simple question.. and still one I don't think I fully understand myself. I put together a little video that might help explain it, or at least how I would do it. I don't use send tracks though, but if you do this should still be relevant.

Brackets wrote on 4/15/2022, 1:16 AM

Thank you so much for going to the effort of making a video to answer my question. The literal definition of ‘above and beyond’!

As to the substance of your answer, I suspected as much. It really is a quite a big blind-spot that there isn’t a built in function to do this. As you suggested, I have already been doing this with buses, but depending on the circumstance, I find it frustratingly clunky and frankly annoying (which, incidentally, was the motivation for the question!).

I had thought of adding a gain/volume plugin to the start of a track effects chain, but I don’t have anything that fits the bill, so I left it at that. I do have a small selection of directx plugins, but not the volume that you have. So the question now becomes, where do I get that directx volume plugin, or some other lightweight alternative?

Thanks again.

sheppo wrote on 4/15/2022, 6:12 AM

my volume direct-x plugin is in C:\Program Files (x86)\VEGAS\Shared Plug-Ins\Audio_x64\, and I have vegas pro 17 installed. So you could grab the trial of Vegas and see how that works. I don't believe there's a license check going on when using the plugin in Acid, but I could be wrong on that. Once you have the files I don't believe you need vegas installed, and could copy the directx plugins to your VST plugins folder if needed.

There's the included eFX_vocalStrip which includes an in and out gain, which you can use just for that

in terms of third party I use Dead Duck Software's free plugins, they're very good. DD Utility has a trim, gain, and pan controls in it and is very lightweight.

hope that helps.. do post any other plugins you find that work well

shkr wrote on 4/15/2022, 1:25 PM

come on, there are some many gain plugins and a lot of them free.

Let's go with free

if you need simple stuff:
gvst fader
gvst gain
kilohearts gain
Blue Cat's Gain Suite
deadduck utility
A.O.M. Triple Fader

if you need more fancy stuff (and you should):
TBProAudio MVMeter2 (with vu meter for all your analog plugins -18 needs)
TBProAudio GSat+ (with vumeter and sweet saturation and clipping if needed)

and if you're serious and want to pay:
BlueCat's Patchwork will give you everything you need and more ;)

sheppo wrote on 4/16/2022, 2:49 PM

@shkr , thanks for the additional suggestions. The ones i listed are just the included or free ones i had installed. Some great additions from yourself there though, i will have to check them out It’s always interesting to hear what plug-ins other people use! 👍