folders created in "My Documents"

tjhorton wrote on 6/21/2018, 12:22 AM

Music Maker ignores all program settings in the user interface, and creates 2 folders in "My Documents". Perhaps surprisingly to some people, that is for my documents, and shouldn't be cluttered with anything else. I only want to see my 20 folders, not another 20 from random programs. Is there a setting outside the user interface for this?

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 6/21/2018, 5:17 AM

@tjhorton

. . . . Perhaps surprisingly to some people, that is for my documents, and shouldn't be cluttered with anything else. . . . . .

The definition of 'Documents' when related to computers means any file that is created by the programs you use on the computer, it may be Word documents, spreadsheets, Music Maker Projects etc. The Documents folder is the default folder Microsoft specified in Windows as the place to put all files and folders that you create using any program on the computer.

It is a special protected folder, ie it is a safe haven, in which documents/files/folders should be placed to prevent any changes made to or by Windows, eg updates, or new program installations from affecting whatever is in the Documents folder. The folder also has all the necessary permissions for you and the programs to access its contents.

You can change the location of the default location where Music Maker (MMM) stores its files, however IMHO it is not advisable to move them outside the Documents folder for the reasons stated above.

You create the folder where you want to be and then in MMM open the program settings (P key), and select the Folders tab.

Note: do not change the Soundpool and Audio editor locations.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

tjhorton wrote on 6/21/2018, 10:43 AM

I have no setting in program settings directed to My Documents, they are all subfolders of D:\Magix\User Files, because that's where I want them. Why is that hard?

No programs are going to modify the folders that I specified above. Since I created the folders, they all have the right permissions.

Yes, My Documents is a default, that doesn't mean it is a smart place, especially for programs to dump files that I never directly deal with. I delete things that I don't recognize in My Documents all the time, it's my documents. Anyway, there is no setting to keep you from cluttering up my documents.

I find that about 1 in 20 programs are ignorant enough to do this, and I find it very annoying, as do a lot of people if you look around the internet. If the answer is Magix does not care about inconveniencing users, I guess I'll buy something else...

johnebaker wrote on 6/21/2018, 11:48 AM

Hi

. . . . If the answer is Magix does not care about inconveniencing users, I guess I'll buy something else... . . . .

It is not a case of Magix not caring, it is the Microsoft standards for Windows and where programs should place various components and documents that should adhered to to ensure maximum operability and protection of those components and documents.

The Documents, or My Documents folders, on older versions of Windows have been around and used for over 13 years.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

tjhorton wrote on 6/21/2018, 12:39 PM

VERY few programs do this. Why is that?

Former user wrote on 7/15/2018, 4:51 AM

@tjhorton

. . . . Perhaps surprisingly to some people, that is for my documents, and shouldn't be cluttered with anything else. . . . . .

The definition of 'Documents' when related to computers means any file that is created by the programs you use on the computer, it may be Word documents, spreadsheets, Music Maker Projects etc. The Documents folder is the default folder Microsoft specified in Windows as the place to put all files and folders that you create using any program on the computer.

It is a special protected folder, ie it is a safe haven, in which documents/files/folders should be placed to prevent any changes made to or by Windows, eg updates, or new program installations from affecting whatever is in the Documents folder. The folder also has all the necessary permissions for you and the programs to access its contents.

You can change the location of the default location where Music Maker (MMM) stores its files, however IMHO it is not advisable to move them outside the Documents folder for the reasons stated above.

You create the folder where you want to be and then in MMM open the program settings (P key), and select the Folders tab.

Note: do not change the Soundpool and Audio editor locations.

John EB

Applications: C:\Program Files\<Vendor>\<Application>

Global (for every user) Program Data (i.e. Sound Pools): C:\ProgramData\<Vendor>\<Application>

Shared Components used across multiple applications from a Vendor (i.e. Virtual Instruments): C:\Program Files\Common Files\<VendorName>\<ComponentDirectories>

Per-User Application Data: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\<Vendor>\<Application>

Application Documents or Project Files: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\<Application>

Putting, i.e. Directories to contain Music Maker projects in User\Documents is 100% Legit.

The issue I have is the abuse of the C:\Users\Public\Public Documents directory...

Magix defaults to installing Sound Pools and Virtual Instruments in this directory, among other things. This is extremely bad practice; particularly on shared computer systems where this directory may be used to share files between users, may be backed up by the users, and may even be indexed by the user (if used in this manner).

Virtual Instruments shared between different Magix Applications really should be installed to the Common Files directory under Program Files, as these are installed by application installers. Installing them to Public Documents means that any users on the machine can delete them without warning.

Sound Pools should go in the %ProgramData% folder, like some of the plug-ins that you get from the Music Maker Store. Again, anyone can delete these without warning. Theoretically, a good uninstaller will clean up most if not all of these files when removing the application (many uninstaller are good, and do do this, even if they may leave the directory itself behind for reasons).

The Public User Document folders are not the place to install and keep Application data, ever. They're the place where different users on a shared system place files so that other users can have R/W access to them.

Application installers should NEVER use these folders as an installation target, buy default. DAWs should not store their Gigabytes of Sound Pools in these folders.

Many users backup these folders, because many people still share computers and use these directories to hold shared files. This is not good practice. Some people may have these folder included in their libraries, which causes them to be indexed by the Windows indexer, when they are used for this purpose.

Can you Kindly stop doing this?

Former user wrote on 7/15/2018, 4:52 AM

I have no setting in program settings directed to My Documents, they are all subfolders of D:\Magix\User Files, because that's where I want them. Why is that hard?

No programs are going to modify the folders that I specified above. Since I created the folders, they all have the right permissions.

Yes, My Documents is a default, that doesn't mean it is a smart place, especially for programs to dump files that I never directly deal with. I delete things that I don't recognize in My Documents all the time, it's my documents. Anyway, there is no setting to keep you from cluttering up my documents.

I find that about 1 in 20 programs are ignorant enough to do this, and I find it very annoying, as do a lot of people if you look around the internet. If the answer is Magix does not care about inconveniencing users, I guess I'll buy something else...

Folders on Windows default to inheriting the permissions of their parent.

So any users on the system will have full access to any files in a C:\Magix folder you create, unless you explicitly go into the security settings for that folder, turn off permission inheritance, and set only yourself to have write (and possibly read) access to that folder.

The root directory on a Windows system is R/W for all users on that system, by default. Therefore, any folder you create there will also, by default, by R/W for every user on that system.

Except, maybe, "Guest."

Also, Windows users are still in the habit of creating user accounts with Administrative privileges, instead of "Standard User" Accounts. Factor that in, as well. In some cases, those users can take ownership of files and folders that are not protected by the OS itself.