Feeling Scammed

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/8/2020, 8:30 PM

So I downloaded this program and have had constant issues with getting it to run...
I purchased two different loops and an Instrument and the program is not locating the instrument for the file so i get an error message and it refuses to play.
This is easily not a cheap program especially if you buy instruments...
I should not have to go into Notepad to adjust the file settings to get this program to function.
I've tried looking around to get to any customer service techs I can talk to and apparently the only thing available is the FAQ forum.
I ultimately want a refund as I've had too many issues that have required my personal intervention attempting to get things that were not available without spending money to work.
But I can't even figure out who to ask about that.
I did a lot of digging to see if I'd like this program before I bought it, on paper it looked great, but in reality I feel I'm just out money for a program that does not work.
Not sure what to do besides this, will more than likely never buy from this company again.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 5/8/2020, 9:53 PM

You do realize that this forum is here, no? And that you can ask for help?

And that the program is FREE?

After many years and version of MM, I have never had to go into Notepad to adjust anything.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/9/2020, 12:14 AM

The Downloadable Instruments are not free. Nor is there a demo for them.
A forum is not the same as any actual support for the product.
You may not have to, but I do. As the path for the installed instrument does not accurately find the path from the program so I have to not only find the file in Program Files, but also adjust its source in the Notepad program file settings.
This is also creating an additional problem as I have to adjust my security settings so they can actually save the changed file in notepad as my computer is telling me that I don't actually have the authority to change the path inside of the program files.
I have payed for a program that does not work. More specifically the additional content (Instruments) that do not work. Which would be the only reason why I would've gotten this program in the first place.

emmrecs wrote on 5/9/2020, 4:09 AM

@Bradley-Oates

Welcome to the Magix forums.

Like @browj2 I have never needed to go into Notepad to adjust the file settings. That you are needing to do so seems to suggest that, either you did not install the various Soundpools and Instruments etc. to their "Default" locations, i.e. where the program "expects" them to be, or perhaps you are attempting to use instruments etc. purchased from other than Magix or ProducerPlanet?

You also say I have to not only find the file in Program Files, but also adjust its source in the Notepad. Any Magix Instrument does NOT install to Program Files, ever, so that also indicates that you may be using a non-Magix instrument. Depending on which variant of MM you have (see below) it may not be possible for you to add a location for the VSTi .dll file which tells the program exactly where said .dll is located.

However, let's take a step backwards! Please tell us exactly which version of MM you have (to be found under Help>About) and exactly which variant, Free, Plus or Premium. I have a suspicion from what you write that you may have the Free version and are attempting to add Instruments etc. to it.

So, please help us to help you!

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Graham-Hawker wrote on 5/9/2020, 8:17 AM

The Downloadable Instruments are not free. Nor is there a demo for them.
A forum is not the same as any actual support for the product.
More specifically the additional content (Instruments) that do not work. Which would be the only reason why I would've gotten this program in the first place.

Six are free with the Premium edition plus 2 tiny percussion instruments. There are demos in the store but I'm not sure how instruments you haven't heard can be the reason to buy a program.

Support is provided by Magix via the personal service area as described here:

https://www.magix.com/gb/support/technical-support/#c71158

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/9/2020, 10:55 AM

I am using Music Maker Version 28.0.2.47. I paid for the premium edition, because I wanted as many options as possible. I was not aware it gave you any free instruments.
I paid for the Power Guitar Directly from the Magix Store in the program downloaded it from the Magix Store in the program and when I put into the track file it tells me file source not found and refuses to play.
The reason the file source is not found is because under the Settings.CFG of the file found inside of the place where it installed (That is C:\Program Files (x86)\ Common Files\ MAGIX Services \ MxSynth \ Power Guitar.) where it installed on its own without my intervention. The Path under settings.cfg says
(C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\MxSynth\Power Guitar)
A folder which does not exist on my computer.
When I attempt to manually input the actual file location of the folder it tells me I do not have proper administrative authority to adjust the settings.cfg file.

emmrecs wrote on 5/9/2020, 12:01 PM

@Bradley-Oates

OK. 28.0.2.47 IS the latest version, so everything fine there.

When you installed it did you register/activate it (on line) and then download and install ALL the additional content that would then have been available?

That installation location (C:\Program Files...) is most definitely "wrong"; what that settings.cfg file says (C:\Users\....) IS the correct one. The fact you do not apparently have such a folder strongly suggests you have not downloaded that extra content!

SO, that registration/activation/additional content download should be the next thing to check!

Also, I would most strongly recommend you do NOT attempt to edit that Settings.cfg file, since it is a "core" file upon which quite a lot of the correct operation of MM depends!

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Graham-Hawker wrote on 5/9/2020, 12:54 PM

I am using Music Maker Version 28.0.2.47. I paid for the premium edition, because I wanted as many options as possible. I was not aware it gave you any free instruments.

https://www.magix.com/gb/music/music-maker/version-comparison/

browj2 wrote on 5/9/2020, 1:59 PM

@Bradley-Oates

Parts of the instrument are installed in both file locations and both have to exist.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\MAGIX\Common\MxSynth\….

is where other instruments will be installed as well.

Check again carefully for the above folder.

When you purchase and activate Premium, some things download automatically, but other things have to be downloaded and installed by clicking on the Download button at the upper right of the screen. You will also have credits to purchase Presets, Features, Instruments and Soundpools. Install everything else first.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 5/9/2020, 4:05 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/9/2020, 2:25 PM

So you're saying I didn't activate the product?
I guess that's possible I'll give it a shot to make sure I did everything right.

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/17/2020, 11:58 PM

I managed to work it out overall so I will be toying with the program a bit more. It no longer gives me the error and the issue was the product wasn't activated. I thought I already had done that, but apparently I had not.
I am curious to ask now that I am looking at the octave ranges for specifically the power guitar if there is a way to create chords with a single note in Midi, or am I stuck with what the ranges give me.
The power guitars range is rather low for actually pure notes and that makes full guitar chords very difficult.
Thanks.

SP. wrote on 5/18/2020, 2:16 AM

Power Guitar only lets you play power chords and some slides and scratches.

If you want something more sophisticated you need a Kontakt library like Shreddage or a guitar-VST from developers like Musiclab.

Bradley-Oates wrote on 5/25/2020, 5:00 PM

How would I obtain these things?
Is there a special install?

Power Guitar only lets you play power chords and some slides and scratches.

If you want something more sophisticated you need a Kontakt library like Shreddage or a guitar-VST from developers like Musiclab.

SP. wrote on 5/26/2020, 1:51 AM

You can get the instruments from https://impactsoundworks.com/series/shreddage-3-series/ or https://www.musiclab.com/ or https://prominy.com/ or https://www.amplesound.net/en/index.asp or https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products

You see, there are a lot of different companies that are offering virtual guitar instruments. There are even more out there. It would be best, if you first look for free versions or demos to test the instruments and look up different tutorials on youtube on how to use them. You would also need a amp and cabinet simulation to make them sound good. There are also dozens of different offers out there from many different companies.