Comments

rraud wrote on 1/28/2022, 12:02 PM

Sound Forge is not a portable app and AFAIK must be installed in the program files folder on the main C:\ drive. There are also necessary files in the Common and Appdata folders not to mention the registry entries. The media (audio) files can be just about anywhere.. internal, external or cloud drives. The application itself is only about 0.5 GB.
You might get an 'official' answer if you email Magix, infoservice@magix.net .

btw, welcome to the Magix Sound Forge users community @EKeith-Borders.

SP. wrote on 1/28/2022, 12:18 PM

@EKeith-Borders You can move and link every folder on your C: drive to another drive with the mklink /J Link Target command (Link and Target are common paths, for example mklink /J "C:\folder\" "D:\folder\" ). This should work fine. Just create the Target on your external drive and then run the mklink command to create the Link on C: and then install Sound Forge inside the Link.

johnebaker wrote on 1/28/2022, 1:56 PM

@EKeith-Borders

Hi

. . . . I have an external ssd with 512 gb of storage hooked up via usb. . . . .

Technically, the program can be installed to a second internal hard drive.

Installing to a USB device is not recommended. USB ports are shared devices, they can also be shutdown by Windows power management, you can override this, however the drives themselves have a power saving mode which you cannot override.

In addition there are still parts of the program installed onto the C: drive, while you can make the changes @SP. suggested these can cause further issues with Windows Updates and possibly the program updates as well.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.