Extending the end of a sound

Jacob-Potter wrote on 2/26/2023, 2:30 PM

I am trying to extend the end of a sound or loop to draw it out. I can use echo but it doesn't really give the effect as it usually repeats a couple time, unless I am just doing it wrong. I'm currently trying this on an imported mp3 file by clipping the final part of it to extend but I cant seem to figure it out. I am open to any ideas, whether that means an additional program or plug in.

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/26/2023, 3:21 PM

@Jacob-Potter Do you mean a reverb effect? Or do you mean something like a granular effect that sounds like freezing the sound in time? Or do you mean something like timestretching to play the sound much slower and therefore longer without changing its pitch?

Jacob-Potter wrote on 2/26/2023, 4:29 PM

@SP. I believe timestretching would be the best solution as I want to keep the pitch the same. Im not sure what the granular effect is and as for reverb that doesn't do exactly what I would like as I want the end of a loop/mp3/sound to be extended for a given time or so.

SP. wrote on 2/27/2023, 5:19 AM

@Jacob-Potter Granular effects play usually very small parts of audio (so called grains). You can select which part they should play, set the number of grains and set additional properties like attack, decay, sustain, release, filters, play direction (forward, backward, repeat etc.) and so on.

If you use many, extremely tiny grains and blend them together so you cannot hear them starting and ending you can get the sound to "freeze in time".

For example, the free tool/plugin Paulstretch can stretch audio files which are only seconds long into hours.

browj2 wrote on 2/27/2023, 6:01 AM

@Jacob-Potter

Hi,

Do you mean that you want to hear the end of a loop sustained after the loop object has finished like playing the piano, hitting a note with the sustain pedal down and hearing the sound until it can no longer be heard?

Do you have an example?

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

Jacob-Potter wrote on 2/27/2023, 7:44 PM

@browj2 yea that is what I am trying to do like the last note of a piano being played. I don't know how to explain a better example but imagine you have a loop and you want it to finish and have a pause before something else comes in but you dont want it silent or repeating echo so I would want the final sound or a selected part of the end of the loop to continue on for said time. Thanks for your help.

Jacob-Potter wrote on 2/27/2023, 7:44 PM

@SP. Thanks! I will try that and let you know if I need more help.