Explaination

terry-b wrote on 3/25/2022, 9:32 AM

I am shopping for tools to manage, edit both videos and photos that I have taken personally. I do not want anything to do with the cloud or using any device except my laptop. I have a drone that I can take photos and video with. I want to own the software and not pay yearly subscriptions. Does Magix have a product or products that fills my needs???? Do not understand how shopping for photo and video software editing can be so confusing.

Comments

browj2 wrote on 3/25/2022, 12:35 PM

@terry-b

Hi,

Yes, it can be bewildering.

First off, it is important to make sure that you have hardware that can handle video editing, particularly with the program that you select. I suggest that you post details of your hardware and operating system here or in your profile, best in your signature.

For managing your files, other than putting them in folders on your hard drive under photos and videos with folders by date or subject or both, what else are you expecting to do on the managing side?

For editing, Magix has 3 main flavours: Video Pro X (VPX), Movie Edit Pro which has been renamed to Movie Studio (MS), and PhotoStory (PS). MS has 3 variants, basic (not recommended), Plus and Premium. The latter two are identical except for additional third party software or plugins (effects). All do video, photo and audio editing but with some differences in capability.

VPX is the fully outfitted program for the prosumer or enthousiast and is my preference.

MS Plus/Premium is excellent but has less tools than VPX.

PS is mainly for creating videos using photos and has less features than the others for video and audio editing. Although it has most editing features, it is aimed more at those wanting simpler methods.

You can look at the comparison charts for the various products. Also, look at the videos for each. You can always try out the trial version.

Right now, the biggest bang for your buck would be to get Video Pro X12 (and some other software) through Humble Bundle. VPX12 will keep you satisfied for a couple of years with no real need to upgrade to the latest version. For the price, I wouldn't consider anything else.

As for Photo Manager, that is another beast. I am hoping that Magix updates it soon as it hasn't been done for several years. I use it since I have it, but most of the management of my files is done up front using Windows Explorer. It has some interesting features, but it would be best to understand what you are expecting first.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

terry-b wrote on 3/25/2022, 4:02 PM

Thank You John CB. My old puter died and I just purchased a new laptop. It is a 64/64 system. My concerns are that I am taking videos with the drone in the 2 to 3 minute range (2.7K). I would like to be able to shorten them so I can send them to my friends via android cell phone also 64/64 system. I probably would never get into making a long video. Just Photos and short videos to share. I hope that explains my goal. I was wanting one program that would let me do simple things with photos and videos. Thanks again

TerryB

emmrecs wrote on 3/26/2022, 4:28 AM

@terry-b

Why not download the Trial version of, say, Photostory first and test out what it can do? If that is too simple or does not offer what you want, take the same route with Movie Studio 2022.

Just be aware that trial versions do have limitations, e.g., I believe there is a limit to the length of any export you wish to create.

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam