Error message when trying to open wav file

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 3:55 AM

Hi, I am on Audio Studio 16 and am trying to open WAV files (which if in any way relevant were created from recordings on QSC Touchmix 8 Mixer) but message says "An error occurred during the current operation. The file is an unsupported format". And when I click on detail, it says "the file contains an unsupported sample format (32-bit integer)". I've done this previously although maybe not for a little while and all worked fine, it could be I was on Audio Studio 14 then but I can't be sure of that. Any ideas please?

Comments

SP. wrote on 2/25/2023, 4:48 AM

@flingel This might be a limitation of the Audio Studio version.

You might need to convert your files to 32 bit floating point or 24 bit before you load them into SF Audio Studio. XMedia Recode is a free converter that can basically convert anything into anything.

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 6:32 AM

Ah right, thank you. I think now it was probably my old Soundforge 7 (on Win 7) that I still have which would open these files. Still have it, just tried and worked fine! So I guess when Magix took over, they took that ability out and just have it in Pro - which of course costs a lot more! Still at least there's a way round it. Thanks for your suggestion re XMedia Recode, I'll check it out. I think Audacity can probably do it too.

SP. wrote on 2/25/2023, 6:52 AM

@flingel Are you sure your Sound Forge 7 version isn't the Pro version instead of the Limited Edition or Audio Studio?

I found this old topic and it looks like this import limitation already existed back when Sony was handling Sound Forge https://forum-archive.magix.info/showmessage.asp?messageid=864082

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 7:16 AM

I didn't think pro version started until 12? But in that topic, guy is on 10 so you'd think would still be same as 7. Strange, def no problem opening those files in my 7 which I'm pretty sure is not Pro - I certainly don't remember the word "Pro" being associated back in the day when I had that version - but i could be wrong. I've attached pic of my old 7.

SP. wrote on 2/25/2023, 7:56 AM

@flingel The Videohelp version history shows that there already was a Sound Forge 7 Audio Studio version. So I would guess you have the fully featured version of Sound Forge 7. And that's why it can load your WAV fine.

What's New in Version 7.0

* An Explorer window with drag-and-drop support for pasting, mixing, or crossfading files or regions.

* Integrated, dockable Spectrum Analysis window (not available in Sound Forge Audio Studio).
* Automated audio recording (not available in Sound Forge Audio Studio).
* Prerecord buffer for normal and threshold-based recording.
* VU meters for monitoring playback and recording levels (not available in Sound Forge Audio Studio).
* Clip detection and marking (not available in Sound Forge Audio Studio).
* Improved fade curves in the Graphic Fade, Envelope, Pan/Expand, Pitch Bend, and FM Synthesis dialogs.
* Sound Forge project files.
* Undo past save.
* Effect automation using envelopes, including volume and panning plug-ins (not available in Sound Forge Audio Studio).

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 8:16 AM

ah so I think what you're saying is that although they didn't call it Pro until 12, 7 was effectively Pro? ie that link is the timeline of the Pro version?

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 8:32 AM

and thank you again re Xmedia Recode - works great 🙂

rraud wrote on 2/25/2023, 10:34 AM

Sony added the word "Pro" or 'Audio Studio' with Sound Forge 10.

OTOH, There was an LE (lite) version of Sound Forge 9 that came with some Sony turntables, Otherwise the full version was simply Sound Forge 9.
I have been using Sound Forge since version 3, which as I recall had some bizarre non-audio names for the Fx and other process parameters. It did not have real-time preview so the processes would need to be rendered to hear it. If you did not like what you heard, one would have to cancel the save and start anew. Real-time preview was intro'd in version 5. Version 4.5 was solid and the UI was similar as it still is today, including standard pro-audio terms for the parameters.

flingel wrote on 2/25/2023, 11:09 AM

Thanks for that info.