Effects chain sequence for voice-over?

Former user wrote on 2/22/2022, 9:46 PM

I am watching tutorials on effects for voice over-audio production and am surprised at how the recipes are different, depending on what producer is approached. The current recipe I have is EQ, gate, compression, limiter, de-ess and then normalize. What recipes or sequences have other SFP users deployed for voice-over? What tools? In one project, I have decided to use Sound Forge Pro only tools (not even the suite effects) and the final result sounds great.

Comments

rraud wrote on 2/23/2022, 12:42 PM

use about the same processes; EQ (which usually has additional high and low pass filters), a clean sounding compressor/limiter. I do not like or use noise gates directly on the file, but will often apply an expander to the VO track in the final mix.. if needed of course.|
I sometimes apply a high-mid frequency exciter, if the VO does not cut though BG music and S/FX.

Former user wrote on 2/23/2022, 3:05 PM

@rraud Thanks for the info. I have not yet tried an exciter, but can see the need for some voices.

My current effects chain is informed by Booth Junkie, from the 'voiceover production tips'. That said, will try other 'recipes' from other sites. I recently picked up the TDR Kotelnikov GE (compressor) for sale from Plugin Boutique and have yet to try it. Now am experimenting with native Sound Forge tools. Less granular controls, but still nice results.

rraud wrote on 2/23/2022, 5:58 PM

I currently use iZotope's multi-band exciter in the Mastering Effects Suite II which was included with SFP-10... as I recall, That Direct X suite however does not work with 64 bit SF.. It does work with the x86 versions though, so I keep at least one x86 version of SF installed as well. Prior to iZotope's multiband exciter, I liked "RGC audio's high frequency stimulator" which was a free VST-2 plug-in, Unfortunately Cakewalk acquired RGC Audio and abandoned it like the great sounding Sonitus Ultrafunk suite. I love the Ultrafunk Expander/Gate, (see screenshot below), Ultrafunk's reverb is a favorite too.
The "RGC high frequency stimulator is difficult to find, but if you PM me, I can email the<.dll> file if it is small enough or post it on a cloud site. iZ's Mastering Suite II and theUltrafunk suite require serial codes which are dficult to come by. There are other HF exciters around if you search.

Former user wrote on 2/23/2022, 6:29 PM

@rraud It is a shame that SFP did not pull a page from Reapers' book and accommodate both 32 and 64 bit plugins without having to install two separate versions. iZotope remains too rich for my blood at the moment.

rraud wrote on 2/24/2022, 10:43 AM

The SCS/Magix Direct X plug-ins run on 64 bit Sound Forge without problems, some third-party Direct X plugs do not.. and some do.
Fortunately having 32 bit Sound Forge (x86) install along with the 64 bit version will co-exist. They share much of the same data, customizations and other user settings,including the activation code, so it does not count as a second activation on the same PC. I cannot detect any speed difference, and in some cases the x86 version is faster.

Former user wrote on 2/24/2022, 3:40 PM

It seems that you are able to stockpile 32 bit plugins for an effective production suite on the 32 bit version of SFP. I came in a bit later in the pro-audio game, so most of my tools are in the 64 bit realm. That said, there is a lot of pretty good abandonware out there, as you have pointed out, that can do a good job for production. Do you round trip between 32 and 64 bit versions of SFP, or stick with one version more often?

rraud wrote on 2/25/2022, 12:17 PM

I usually use the 32 bit versions unless I need a 64 bit VST 3 plug-in. In my case, most of the go-to VST plug-ins are available in both formats, it is not bothersome to me and both SF versions (SFP-15 for example) share the same settings, last opened file and listed ect., ect.