Editing Audio and Saving Changes

DZangger wrote on 12/24/2023, 12:17 PM

While I'm still trying to figure this software out, one HUGE source of frustration is with editing the tracks themselves. After I split the tracks, I go back and edit them. So assuming I have two wav files, 1.wav and 2.wav.

I start a new project, import 1.wav, and start to edit. Remove dead space, do the cleaning, and now I'm ready to save/apply my changes. It seems simply pressing CTRL+S to save isn't enough. What gets saved? I removed the pop/click from the beginning of the track, CTRL+S to save, loaded the file and the pop/click was still there. It was like I didn't do anything to the file. I then exported the file. The pop/clicks were gone. IS this what we need to do? And when I export, I can't overwrite 1.wav because it's in use. So I have to save it as 1a.wav and then delete and rename, etc...

Is there something else I'm missing?

Thank you

Comments

rraud wrote on 12/25/2023, 1:41 PM

Season Greetings @DZangger, after any edits or processes, when 'Save' is executed, the file will be overwritten with all the changes you just made. You can still undo the changes though until the application is exited. 'Save as' is just like 'save' but will create a new file with the changes... However, If "Automatically open file after Save as" is not enabled, the original file will remain on the timeline for playback. This setting option is in the "Options> Preferences> General" menu.. An alert message can also be enabled in the same menu: "Prompt to open new file after Save as".

For full non-destructive editing, 'Save as' the audio file selecting 'Sound Forge project' file <.frg or .sfas> which will create a single (project) file and a companion folder with new media. Undo points in this mode are unlimited and can be undone as long as the project is not deleted. Automation envelopes and plug-in chains are retained as well. When you wish to create an end-user audio file with the changes, select 'Render as' in the 'File' menu.

You may also want to look into editing in the "Event" mode ( Edit> Tools) which is easier comping songs/tracks together, spacing, x-fades, ect. The events /clips will remain when switching back and forth between the (normal) 'Edit 'and 'Event' modes. All the above is available in Sound Forge Audio Studio (as well as SF Pro).

DZangger wrote on 12/29/2023, 2:19 PM

Season Greetings @rraud. Thank you for your reply. I don't see the options you are referring to. This is exactly what I just did to my most recent recording.

1. I had a wave with two tracks; split them and exported them to their own wav
  2. Imported the first wav and saw a big pop at the end. I deleted the pop
  3. Ctrl+S to save and the wav looks great.
  4. New project and import wav 1 again and pop is still there.
  5. Deleted the pop again
  6. Export wav again with a different name.
  7. Imported newly exported wav and the pop is gone.

For me not to have those options, am I using a different version? Or in a different mode?

Thank you so much,

dave

rraud wrote on 12/29/2023, 3:32 PM

If the 'pop' noise is being generated by editing, enable: Options> Snapping> Zero crossings.
Both Sound Forge 'Pro' and 'Audio Studio' have the non-destructive 'project' file option and the 'Event' mode.

DZangger wrote on 12/29/2023, 4:32 PM

Hi @rraud. Thank you! The Sound Forge I'm using is the Audio Cleaning Lab 4 so maybe that's the problem. As for the pop, it's actually the sound of the needle coming off the record. I selected that part of the song and deleted it. CTRL+S appears to save it as we'd expect a SAVE feature to do. Let me look into the other application; i see there audio studio 17. I only need the ability to capture vinyl so I went with the cleaning lab software.

rraud wrote on 12/29/2023, 5:10 PM

Hi @DZangger, Sound Forge and Audio Cleaning Lab are quite different in terms of the user interface, features and functions. In my opinion, Magix should not have used the Sound Forge name and simply refer to it as Audio Cleaning Lab instead of confusing folks, which has occurred before multiple times. In the future, please use the Audio Cleaning Lab forum for queries specific to ACL.
www.magix.info/us/audio-forum/audio-cleaning-lab/