DVD won't play on some DVD players

Wilbur wrote on 12/9/2008, 10:59 AM
DVDs from DVD7  play on some DVD players but not on others. How can I burn them to play on all DVD players? I burned at both x2 and x1 speeds. After burning on TDK DVD-R discs the window states "burning successful."  I use a Gateway laptop computer. They play on a cheap ESA player but not on a Sanyo combination DVD/VHS unit. Should I try another brand of DVD disc? They play on my son's (Sony, I think) but not on a friends player. -- Wilbur

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 12/9/2008, 12:41 PM
It does sound like it might be a pure readability problem, in which case using a different make of DVD blanks would certainly be worth trying.

However, just to be on the safe side and rule out that this is not an issue caused in the DVD encoding and authoring, you should also check in the MPEG encoder settings (within the burning dialog) that you're creating the correct video standard for your country (NTSC/PAL). NTSC would be the right choice for e.g. North America and Japan. PAL would be the right choice for e.g. Europe and Australia. I suppose, if you're actually authoring something other than a standard video DVD or if there is indeed a problem with the video standard setting, you might get confusing results, as the medium could possibly be processed by some devices and not by others. However, if there's no doubt about the fact that a proper DVD with the right video standard was created, it boils down to readability issues. Ironically, it seems to be a common experience that some brand name players will fail to read certain home-made media, while affordable no-name alternatives will eat literally anything you throw at them.

NoTurning wrote on 12/10/2008, 8:34 AM

While ralftaro certainly gave a good answer it's worth noting that some DVD players just wont accept burned DVDs. This is especially true of older players. Your issue might just be a finicky player.

Try experimenting with DVD +R (+r) and DVD -R (-r) as some players will accept certain media more readily.

Justin