Does New Sound Forge Have A Feature To Quickly Amplify A Selection?

ken-t wrote on 5/18/2021, 2:07 PM

I use Adobe Audition for most audio editing. And it has a feature I use almost more than ANY other. It's called the Heads Up Display (HUD). It is a very small window that floats over your waveform view and has a knob control on it. When you make a selection of audio, you can use the HUD knob to increase or decrease the level of ONLY that selection. It is so incredibly convenient.

But I have not found any other editor with this tool. I teach audio recording and editing, and though I will always have AA, I'd like to recommend Sound Forge Pro to my students also, since it is so powerful and affordable. Lot of people are not a fan of SAAS plans for their audio editors, which is the only way to get AA now - as part of the Adobe Creative Cloud.

But this ONE feature needs to be present for me to recommend any other audio editing software. I make an exception for Audacity since it's free. But if and when Sound Forge offers a similar tool to the HUD, I won't be recommending it. I was hoping the new version might have a similar tool?

Thanks!

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/18/2021, 2:59 PM

Hi @ken-t there are a few ways to change the waveform volume in the sections on the Sound Forge timeline.
Highlight a section you wish to chance and select the 'Volume' in the 'Process'. For more variable option make a selection and choose the 'Graphic fade' which creates a volume envelope window. Alternately, a 'Volume envelope' plug-in (insert menu or the 'V' key shortcut) places an envelope right on the timeline. Points can be added by double or right clicking and dragging the point or line
The preview volume can also be changed in the 'Hardware meter' view, which has has no affect on the waveform amplitude.
The menus may differ and not all tools are in the low-cost Audio Studio (lite) version.

I'm sure you are aware that Sound Forge is a multi-channel editing/mastering application and not a multi-track DAW like AA, Acid, ProTools, Reaper, Samplitude or Vegas Video which has a substantial multi-track DAW built in which SF can be integrated to.

ken-t wrote on 5/18/2021, 3:20 PM

Thanks rraud. But none of those methods is anywhere near as fast and convenient. I mean sure, even in Audacity, you can highlight a section, then go to the Effects dropdown, then choose "Amplification," then have to guess on how much you want to turn it up or down by. Then hit OK. Only THEN can you see the effect on the waveform. Compare that to NOT having to got to ANY menu. Just drag the ever-present knob. And you can see, in real time, the effect on the waveform as you drag to move the knob. Then just release to accept that change.

And as for envelopes. They do have their use, sure. But again, it takes fair deal of time and effort to apply the envelopes. It's a totally different way of working.

So an I assume from hour answer that even the latest SF Pro does not have such a tool?

Rednroll wrote on 5/22/2021, 8:10 AM

Sounds like a pretty niche feature in AA. Glad you like it. I wouldn't expect it to catch on across other programs very much since the way this is similarly done in most other audio programs is that you would use a volume envelope and have a hardware controller connected to your setup to be able to use an actual audio fader on the controller to do exactly as you describe or use the track software fader.

I'll call it like I see it. AA was purchased by Adobe to complement their video editing programs. Alot of video editors don't tend to use external h/w audio controllers from my experience, and I'm willing to bet is a good reason that feature was created for AA. Probably too niche for Sound Forge where in comparison SF is a complement to Vegas Pro and you can do similar tasks as you described in Vegas using the volume envelopes with automation by just grabbing a track fader or using an external H/W controller.

Likely the way to similarly implement this feature in SF would be for SF to add channel track faders and support envelope automation to the already existing volume envelopes. You would therefore turn automation on, make your selection and in real-time adjust the channel fader to make your real-time volume adjustment to that selection, the same as it is done in Vegas and Acid Pro.

xman_charl wrote on 5/22/2021, 12:02 PM

Notice some vst effects work better audition...

Here is an example:

Acon Digital, Digital DeNoise 2

works okay audition.....sound forge...no work

Why do I use Acon Digital VSTs?

beautiful GUI Vst 3, effects

Acon Digital has about 15 Vst

ken-t wrote on 5/22/2021, 3:06 PM

That's interesting. It doesn't solve my current problem (no HUD for quick gain changes) NOT being available in Sound Forge or any other software except Audition. I ALREADY have/use Audition and I love it. I just wish there were an option OTHER than Audition, so as not to have to pay $20+/month.

ken-t wrote on 5/22/2021, 6:42 PM

Sounds like a pretty niche feature in AA. Glad you like it. I wouldn't expect it to catch on across other programs very much since the way this is similarly done in most other audio programs is that you would use a volume envelope and have a hardware controller connected to your setup to be able to use an actual audio fader on the controller to do exactly as you describe or use the track software fader.

I'll call it like I see it. AA was purchased by Adobe to complement their video editing programs. Alot of video editors don't tend to use external h/w audio controllers from my experience, and I'm willing to bet is a good reason that feature was created for AA. Probably too niche for Sound Forge where in comparison SF is a complement to Vegas Pro and you can do similar tasks as you described in Vegas using the volume envelopes with automation by just grabbing a track fader or using an external H/W controller.

Likely the way to similarly implement this feature in SF would be for SF to add channel track faders and support envelope automation to the already existing volume envelopes. You would therefore turn automation on, make your selection and in real-time adjust the channel fader to make your real-time volume adjustment to that selection, the same as it is done in Vegas and Acid Pro.

Rednroll - I'm very familiar with Vegas Pro, and by extension, Reaper (many similar commands and keyboard shortcuts, etc.). And I'm familiar with using envelopes in multitrack/mixing, non-destructive scenarios. But I'm working in AA's "Waveform View" (formerly "Editing View, I believe"). It's a completely different mindset doing this kind of destructive editing to a single audio file, rather than working with it in Multitrack View. Since I do a lot of voiceover editing, this is perfect environment for me. And quickly fine-tuning amplitudes manually is something I have grown used to. I've been an AA user since it was Syntrillium Cool Edit. It's baffling to me that this kind of function is not at leas an option in ANY other audio editor. I don't think it's very niche to want quick access to gain level control. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Rednroll wrote on 5/22/2021, 7:15 PM

"HUD"? No. Quick gain adjustment of a selected region? YES. So what problem are you really trying to solve? That one program has a feature which does one particular task one way and another completes the same task doing it a different way? Pretty certain we've all ran across that kind of problem at one point or another, I guess those are the things that differentiate one program from another.

You know over the years I've owned iPhones and Android Phones. I've always preferred how the iPhone has the built in Facetime app to make video chat calls, but on my Android phones I had to install a separate app which did the exact same task in a similar but different way. At the end of the day, they both were able to do video chats in a quick and efficient manner. The bigger problem was that the Android phone did 10 other things better that I wished the iPhone had done differently but it didn't. So I therefore switched from the iPhone to an Android phone.

I believe the real problem you are trying to solve is to be able to ala cart your own program to be able to pick and chose how features get implemented between the different programs to be able to build your own program. Yes, I've wanted that feature for many years as well. Good luck, maybe it will get solved one day but based on my experience of working with multiple programs over the past 30 years, that problem hasn't been solved by any of them yet. However, I do know a guy who had that same kind of vision. His solution was that he was a very talented software developer and decided to develop his own audio program. He's been working on it for the past 14 years, it's called Reaper.

So there are options for you to take to solve your own problem for yourself, or you can choose to spend your time on user forum, talking to other users like yourself about how you wish Sound Forge had a HUD but I'm pretty certain that path you've chosen isn't going to get you very far solving that problem since there's very little the users can do except to show enthusiasm or not in your vision. Personally....sorry, but I don't share your enthusiasm for a HUD in Sound Forge, since 90% of the audio programs I use do the same task using automated volume envelopes and am just not getting very excited over being able to do that same task in another manner.

With that said, I'm always up to learning more and willing to listen. So maybe you can work more on your sales presentation of this HUD feature to increase my interest enthusiasm, so I can submit a feature request along there beside you.

Walter.I wrote on 5/23/2021, 2:42 AM

@Rednroll
+1
good approach - also reflects my experience in 35 years of dealing with various software environments.
My question has always been: Which software meets most of my expectations? - the rest is adaptation on my part and searching for plug-ins to get closer to the ideal.

Last changed by Walter.I on 5/23/2021, 2:45 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630,)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER,
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Soundforge Pro 14, Build 111

Rednroll wrote on 5/23/2021, 7:09 AM

Rednroll - I'm very familiar with Vegas Pro, and by extension, Reaper (many similar commands and keyboard shortcuts, etc.). And I'm familiar with using envelopes in multitrack/mixing, non-destructive scenarios. But I'm working in AA's "Waveform View" (formerly "Editing View, I believe"). It's a completely different mindset doing this kind of destructive editing to a single audio file, rather than working with it in Multitrack View. Since I do a lot of voiceover editing, this is perfect environment for me. And quickly fine-tuning amplitudes manually is something I have grown used to. I've been an AA user since it was Syntrillium Cool Edit. It's baffling to me that this kind of function is not at leas an option in ANY other audio editor. I don't think it's very niche to want quick access to gain level control. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

I've done quite a bit of VO work over the years. You seem to have developed a method that works for you with this HUD feature in Audition. Personally, I've used a multi-track recorder/editor to accomplish the same task. I worked in a production house where we regularly did multiple studio records where the vo person was located in another region and I was recording in a different studio in another. Everyone I worked with from other studios tended to also use a multi-track recorder/editor doing this type of VO work as well. The ones who didn't tended to be slow in comparison.

The multi-track editing features in Vegas in regards to de-breathing, time flexing, and overdubbing are second to none, and if volume adjustments need to be made on the voice, automated volume envelopes controlled by an external H/W controller is how I accomplish that same task. It actually reduces the amount of time you described using the method you described because I don't have to even make a selection like you are doing. I just ride a fader in real-time and make volume adjustments and record those fader moves. If further adjustments are needed, I could go over that selection and re-record the automation over that area or make fine tuning edits on the volume envelope. If you're really having to make this many amplitude adjustments to your voice tracks then I would suggest making better use of a compressor plugin and purchasing a good hardware compressor when doing your voice records.

rraud wrote on 5/23/2021, 9:45 AM

It is not faster than a Volume envelope or 'Graphic fade', but another option is using the 'event' mode, dividing the timeline up into sections/events ('S' key) The individual 'events' gain can be attenuated just like in Vegas Pro.