DAW to Tascam DM-4800 Console Configuration

Rick-Hayman wrote on 7/31/2024, 3:57 PM

Hello, Please bear with me, I'm old school analog taught.. At this point I have Samplitude Pro X3 Suite loaded, OP SYS: Windows 7 64 bit , Samplitude: on a separate H; drive with 1T space. Motherboard is ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, The processor: AMD FX 9590 8 Core, Ram 16G . Dedicated for studio operation. In the past I've been laying down tracks through a MOTU 2408MK3 and a Joe Meek Studio channel for over 8 years.

For 5 years, I Have owned a Tascam DM-4800 With the IF-FW/DM MKII card installed in the 1st slot, and would love to get it fully up and running. First before I go on rambling,, has anyone tried this configuration yet? I have some of it up and running but all the returns, coming and going end up in stereo pairs. What am I missing? I would love more singular control over my tracks.

Thanks people, Rick H.

Comments

SP. wrote on 7/31/2024, 5:28 PM

@Rick-Hayman If you set the track to Mono recording in the track settings or the recording settings, you can select a single input of your interface.

For outputs, Samplitude works differently. To my knowledge, outputs are always in pairs. So you need to pan the audio signal before sending it to the output. There is the main track pan and also individual output pans.

To access the output pans go into the Mixer. At the top part, you'll usually find the AUX section. Right click on AUX and switch to Outputs. Right click on a output and select AUX/Output stereo editor. There you can pan the audio signal so it comes out of the correct channel of the selected output pair.

To my knowledge, in older versions of Samplitude the main track pan and the output pans can cancel each other out. So, setting the main pan to hard left and the output pan to hard right will result in silence. I think this was changed some years ago, but I'm not sure in which version. X3 could still have the old behavior so be aware of that.