Comments

SP. wrote on 11/12/2023, 5:00 PM

@Ikonik I started with Music Maker in 1998. Back then you could walk in a store and buy it for the price of a PC game. So it wasn't expensive. It was easy to use, worked on a mid-range computer. I used it to make background music for videos and edited the videos inside(!) Music Maker, too. This was before Magix Video Deluxe was available. Before that you needed to edit Videos on VHS decks, which was extremely time consuming.

There were similar products available which weren't developed further some years later (eJay, Technomaker).

Professional DAW softwares were no alternative. They did cost around $1000 or even more if you needed special hardware.

So Music Maker and Music Studio were the tools I used.

It wasn't possible to get something like Fruity Loops back then. I didn't even know it existed until 2002, if I remember it correctly.

gjonny wrote on 11/17/2023, 3:34 PM

I'm a relatively new user (since MM2021).  I'm not a musician, nor do I have any musical background, other than having listened to an eclectic range of music over the years.  I've had this urge for awhile to "make" music.  I did look at a number of other daws, but compared to others, MusicMaker had an interface that I could mostly understand, that made sense to me.  

Ikonik wrote on 11/17/2023, 5:07 PM

@gjonny Yea I'm kinda the same as you. Not a musician /no musical background other than listening to hiphop/etc for years. I dabbled a tiny bit on fruity loops 20+ years ago but gave up and found magix music maker in may this year and since then I've just been making beats using the loops. It is very user friendly to me. Once I learn a few more things about the software I'll use my midi controller etc.

gjonny wrote on 11/19/2023, 6:26 PM

@Ikonik
>> Once I learn a few more things about the software I'll use my midi controller etc. 
I dabbled a bit with midi and VSTs in early days, but I have a lousy sense of timing, and my fingers are too stiff to be comfortable on the keys.  These days, I stick with Loops in the Arranger.  Mostly orchestral and ambient kinds of styles.  When I'm not feeling inspired directly with Loop sounds, I will try something in SongMaker. When I first started with MusicMaker, there weren't many genres to choose from. Somewhen along the way, Magix has added more genres, and there's some interesting stuff there to play with.