Comments

cpc000cpc wrote on 6/12/2013, 3:57 AM

pahrtee,

Apologies in advance for being brief and sharp. I'm at the end of a particularly long and difficult day!

First, have you gone to 'Help' >> search for 'Crop'?

I don't have the program (I'm more into video editing) but I'd guess that asking for a crop function is only one step removed from asking if the program can take the pictures for you. I'd assume you would take (find/download) your images, and then crop or otherwise fix them up in a purpose built image editor before using them in Website Maker.

You might check if WM4 has an option for 'Editing in an external program' -- most likely as a right click menu option on an image. The video editor has this feature and defaults to Magix's Photo Editor that came with the main program, but you can set the program of your choice, perhaps the photo editor that came with a camera?

Regards,

Carl

pahrtee wrote on 6/12/2013, 4:05 AM

Short and sharp it may be, but at least you took the trouble to respond. So thanks for that !

Yes I checked help and any other relevant online responses. No luck whatsoever.

I did think that in a programme that already has cut and paste capabilities, a simple crop function wouldn't be asking too much but I think you're right, I'll do all the creative stuff outside of WM and just use the programme to publish my site.

Hope you have a better day ..........

gandjcarr wrote on 6/12/2013, 4:13 PM

Hi,

I don't use website maker either, I use Xara Web Designer for my web sites, within that application you can crop images and then resize them, but I usually do any work on images within a photo applicaction because I have much more control.

Website Maker is a pretty basic online application that is really geared toward more simple web sites and getting them created quckly.

George

pahrtee wrote on 6/12/2013, 5:02 PM

Thanks George. It certainly looks as though I'll be creating (almost) completed pages in probably Photoshop and then importing them into Website Maker. My question really arose from inserting text. WM4 only has a limited number of fonts. I haven't discovered a way to import my own fonts (another question on this community site) so I am inserting text boxes from third party programmes. This is fine until I want to overlap an existing image. Because the background isn't transparent it 'sits' on the image rather than integrating with it. It's looking more and more likely that WM4 will exist purely as a tool for publishing pages created elsewhere. Shame really. I thought the programme showed potential.

gandjcarr wrote on 6/12/2013, 6:11 PM

Hi,

It sounds like you are a lot more creative and have more expectations than the basic web site designer. I am that way too, I expect to be able to do everything I want with almost any product I purchase, but have usually found that when I go with the lower priced applications, I am not satisfied with the results I get.  This is not only true for the less expensive Magix products, but true of virtually any software products I have ever bought or tried.

May I suggest that you download the free trial of the Xara Web Designer product, and register it so that you get the full 30 day trial, and just work with it.  I have used DreamWeaver, and back in the old days the obsolete Microsoft Front Page, Web Easy professional, and many others, and for my needs, the Xara product is one of the best I have used. 

By the way, none of us on this forum are employed by Magix so we don't have anything to gain by steering you towards Magix products unless we like them and have good solid reasons for using them.  I happen to like Xara Web Designer very much, but you should try it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

It has been great talking to you on this forum, I wish you well and hope you can find the right product to create the website of your dreams.

I do websites and videos for a living, and for the most part, I really like the Magix products.

Good luck with your web design, and do not hesitate to ask more questions.

George

cpc000cpc wrote on 6/12/2013, 11:00 PM

David,

A thought about web fonts. I

Perhaps WM4 only supplies 'web safe' fonts eg http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html. I think if you want to use something special you need to include the font (somehow?) in your distribution or the user's browser will do a substitution which may ruin your careful design.

Regards,

Carl

(Who is indeed having a much better day, thanks!)

pahrtee wrote on 6/13/2013, 2:43 AM

With thanks to both Carl and George. I thgink you're both right !

Yes, I probably did have unrealistic expectations given the relatively low price of the software. As a publishing tool it works well enough.

Yes, excellent point regarding fonts. Similar scenario to Powerpoint I guess, where you have to embed certain fonts to ensure compatibility.

Anyway, clearly the answer is to do most of the work 'offline' in Photoshop or similar and publish with WM4. Not a problem !

Thanks again, David.